How to fix ceiling stain from a leak

Users who are viewing this thread

rgraves

Reaction score
We had a toilet leaking upstairs from the water intake valve and it made a stain on the ceiling below (see attached photo). We got the leak fixed as soon as we saw it. Not sure if it was leaking for a while or just that morning.

You can also see some water has got between the floor joist and the drywall ceiling.

Can this just be sprayed with a mold remover and then painted over or does the drywall need to be replaced altogether?

Attachments

• stain.jpg
    stain.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 196

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the drywall is not swelled or soft, if it's just stained (often appears with brown streaks), and not from mold(often black and splotchy), priming it with a good sealer (something like Kilz), then repainting it will work. If you don't use a quality primer designed for this, the stain will often telegraph through your new finish coat. If it's messed up too bad, replace the drywall.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
With Kilz you will need multiple coats (depending on the stain), but a better primer/stain blocker is Zinsser.

rgraves

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone. It just appears to be stained, no visible mold or ruined drywall so I will just paint over it. I wondered if it's possible there's mold that's not visible - however the leak was fixed quickly so I'm thinking it's fine.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"It just appears to be stained, no visible mold or ruined drywall so I will just paint over it."

The stain will bleed through the paint right away.
Before you paint, use Zinsser.
Do it right, do it once.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks