How to find a plumber who can rough-in slab plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going to be building a house near Rochester, NY. For a variety of reasons, my wife and I don't want a basement, and plan on a slab-on-grade. This seems to be causing all of the builders and plumbers to have a conniption fit.

How do I find a plumber who can competently rough-in slab plumbing for a house? All I can find are repair guys, and guys who expect a crawlspace or basement. I would guess that light commercial plumbers do slab plumbing all the time, but they don't advertise. There are some folks who don't do slabs regularly, but are willing to try, but that doesn't give me much confidence in their quality or pricing.

Thanks for your help,

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ANY "competent" plumber can do that. Around here, that is about the only way we do plumbing in houses.

Well maybe. I broke in doing new construction, so slabs and crawls were my everyday job. Many plumbers that advertise service work may not have much experience with rough-in's. Many in new construction don't even advertise for work. It's all word of mouth, and the general contractors that they work for. It's a good question, and I'm not thinking of a good answer for that. When I was building homes, I asked my concrete supplier for recommendations on guys that could do the flatwork for me. They were a Godsend.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The expectation around here is that the footing has to be 42" deep, and you might as well add a basement once you're already digging that far. I feel like there must be guys who do slabs, but I haven't found them yet. I'm reaching out to some local suppliers and hoping for the best.

--John

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ready mix companies might have numbers of concrete contractors.

itsr-ent

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations. I live fairly close though and I know there are a lot of slab on grade houses around here (probably with frost protected shallow foundations to not have to dig down to 42-48"), so someone must be doing the plumbing. I think now that FPSF foundations are more popular with foam, etc., people are choosing slabs instead of full basements. I've also seen a decent number of post/pier type foundations up north (but closed in to look like a basement or crawl space). I even just saw someone build a pole barn house (you'd never know it was a pole barn now that it's done!).

I'd like to build a house at some point and I'm also not crazy about basements. They make plumbing access nice, but for storage I'd rather have a big pole barn. I personally wouldn't want to stand/walk on concrete floors all day though, so I'm looking at some of the other options I mentioned above, which also makes the plumbing easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
I live fairly close though and I know there are a lot of slab on grade houses around here (probably with frost protected shallow foundations to not have to dig down to 42-48"), so someone must be doing the plumbing.
If there are new developments under construction that use that technique, consider driving around and reading the signs on the trucks.

I would think you would also want electricians who can put conduit into the slab, and heating people who put the hydronic heating into place too.

Is no-squeak floors the main advantage of a slab to you?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another source: Your state contractor board.
Look for new coplumbers with earlier license numbers who are still active, near you

General advice: If you are dreaming on building a house "someday", start planning now. Finding sources, such as suppliers, subs, architects, etc is one of the early steps you can do now. Keep in mind that many who are available now may not be available when you need them.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
But will THEY be able to do "rough in slab plumbing"?
You mean, concrete subs?
You'll be surprised how many of them will know new construction plumbers who will be able to do it and will be easy to work with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks