How to fill sink overflow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Gall

Reaction score
I’m trying to clean out the overflow with cleaner. I’m trying to figure out what to put where the pop up is to prevent solution from leaking out. I want to keep the solution in there overnight.

Is there a good way to accomplish this?

Also, what’s the best solution to remove a lingering odor from the overflow? I already sprayed it with high pressure water so it’s completely clear.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about pulling the slip joint trap, and sticking a big cork in the bottom of the tailpiece? Or otherwise block the tailpiece. If you did this a lot, you could build slip joint cap from a 1-1/4 inch spigot trap adapter blocked with a cap.
plastic-nibco-pvc-fittings-c4817hd112-64_145.jpg
white-nibco-pvc-fittings-c480127hd112114-40_145.jpg

Blocking from below will be less dependent on the particular sink drain than doing something from up top.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
By Lyson and fill the sink up with hot water and allow the Lysol to flow into the overflow .

Then once or twice a year spray Lysol into the overflow directly

Bob Gall

Reaction score
By Lyson and fill the sink up with hot water and allow the Lysol to flow into the overflow .

Then once or twice a year spray Lysol into the overflow directly

So far I tried bleach, vinegar, hot water, and hydrogen peroxide, but the smell persisted.

After using Lysol directly in the overflow it seems to have fended the odor off for a couple days now. The Lysol scent is still there so I'm curious once that wears if it the earthy odor will come back. Right now, it seems good though. Doing better than the other solutions.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might remove the entire popup assembly and really clean that good putty stops up passageways etc . blast water in through overflow with bucket underneath , stop it up and fill with differant things. a bit more agressive /time consuming and thurough approach

Reach4

Reaction score
I’m trying to clean out the overflow with cleaner. I’m trying to figure out what to put where the pop up is to prevent solution from leaking out. I want to keep the solution in there overnight.
Did you ever succeed in that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks