How to fill gap around tub spout and Moen combo faucet - pics attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
May be a stupid question but I have tendency to learn from more experienced people so
how do I fil the gap around tub spout and tub+shower combo faucet
Do I use caulk - if yes please give a brand or homedepot link - please
if not caulk what else ?

20220822_083014.jpg
20220822_083009.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A Moen shower valve trim will come with a plate and a handle.

moen-posi-in-wall-01.jpg

The plate gets held on by two screws.

moen-kingsley-tub-shower.jpg

I install the plate and then use clear caulking around the edge, leaving it out at the bottom where the notch is that lets any trap water out.

I also caulk around the tub spout.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Yes I have the plaster guard - do you suggest creating more gap to put the plaster guard back in ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I didn't say anything about a plaster guard. Those are there so that the tile guy doesn't cover over the screw holes.
You can toss them. It does look like your tile guy cut too close though. Do you have access to screw holes to install the wall plate?

Curiousv

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about a plaster guard. Those are there so that the tile guy doesn't cover over the screw holes.
You can toss them. It does look like your tile guy cut too close though. Do you have access to screw holes to install the wall plate?
Ok so I understand the gap should at least be big enough to access screw holes for escutcheon install but do you prefer to leave plaster guard in or you like to toss it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally toss the plasterguard.
If it's a fiberglass tub enclosure, then the plaster guard helps to keep things in place, and I sometimes leave them on.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We keep the plaster guard. Say your installing trim on 90 showers and you keep missing the hole with the long screw and the foam insulation guy sprayed around the valve, it can get annoying. I used to toss them until I realized how much they help. The plaster guard has a guide for the long screws that is closer to the surface of the wall which is easy to hit vs the brass hole which is 2 or 3" inside of the wall.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Our installations always leave the guard in place to avoid having to remove excessive tile.

As long as the finished surfaces can be sealed around the finished fixture, you don't really need to fill the hole around the tub spout. But the hole around the control valve needs to follow the minimum opening provided in the instructions of the valve you installed. Whether or not you leave the plaster guard in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks