how to extend a male threaded pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanfran1

Reaction score
Hello Plumbing Pros,

I need your help.

I am remodeling my bathroom, which includes getting new tiles around the tub/shower surround and new tub/shower fixtures. It seems my contractor didn't know what he was doing when he installed the plumbing for the fixtures. The pipe that sticks out from the tiled wall for the tub spout was supposed to stick out between 1/2" to 11/16", per the installation instructions for my tub spout. But instead, it doesn't stick out at all. It's completely flush with the surface of the tiled wall. So now the tub spout, which has the female end in it, cannot connect to it.

Please tell me what I can do? Is there some kind of pipe extension that I can attach to get the 1/2" minimum that I need? If it helps, the tub spout installation instructions says: 3/4" NPT-FIP. Sorry, I don't really know what this means.

Thank you in advance.

Wallskev

Reaction score
Brass Pipe Fitting-- Extension Straight

Pipe.jpg

They Do Exist - Try Local Plumbing Supply House or take a piece of pi[pe to machine shop and have it cut and Tapped on the Inside.

You could also use a Coupling and a small stub piece of pipe but might not look as clean.:rolleyes:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You could also use a Coupling and a small stub piece of pipe but might not look as clean.
rolleyes.png

??? a coupling and nipple to extend it 3/4"? No way. Do it the correct way. Remove that pipe and install one the proper length. You will not find any "extension coupling" which will add the small amount you need. I hope the "contractor" who installed it knew you needed a 3/4" connection, because that usually implies a "twin ell" inside the wall, and if so, and he did not use one, then your shower will never operate properly. Why isn't he installing the spout, which is usually included in the installation price.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Hello Plumbing Pros,

I need your help.

I am remodeling my bathroom, which includes getting new tiles around the tub/shower surround and new tub/shower fixtures. It seems my contractor didn't know what he was doing when he installed the plumbing for the fixtures. The pipe that sticks out from the tiled wall for the tub spout was supposed to stick out between 1/2" to 11/16", per the installation instructions for my tub spout. But instead, it doesn't stick out at all. It's completely flush with the surface of the tiled wall. So now the tub spout, which has the female end in it, cannot connect to it.

Please tell me what I can do? Is there some kind of pipe extension that I can attach to get the 1/2" minimum that I need? If it helps, the tub spout installation instructions says: 3/4" NPT-FIP. Sorry, I don't really know what this means.

Thank you in advance.

Depending on how the pipe is installed,it may be possible to unscrew the existing and screw in a longer nipple etc. etc.

So what type pipe do you have?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're lucky, that pipe is a threaded nipple and you can just unscrew it (you might need an inside pipe wrench that clamps to the inside of the pipe to do it, though). Then, screw in the proper length one after using some pipe dope and/or teflon tape. If it is not a standard length, you may need to have one made. Or, swap the tub spout for one that is more flexible on its installation.

If you gave the instructions to the plumber along with the thickness of the tiled wall, HE should be the one fixing this for free, as he messed up. If you didn't give him the instructions or ended up with a thicker wall than you told him, he'd fix it, but would likely charge you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; If you gave the instructions to the plumber along with the thickness of the tiled wall, HE should be the one fixing this for free, as he messed up

I do not care WHAT the finished thickness is. I always install a longer nipple than necessary, the replace it with the proper one when installing the trim.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
quote; If you gave the instructions to the plumber along with the thickness of the tiled wall, HE should be the one fixing this for free, as he messed up

I do not care WHAT the finished thickness is. I always install a longer nipple than necessary, the replace it with the proper one when installing the trim.

This is a good practice because when tiling, one 'just right' would likely get some thinset on it and might otherwise get dinged up in the process of tiling. But, obviously, the installer didn't do that making it both harder to get out, and likely gunked up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks