How to extend 3/8 flex braided pipe female connector with flat rubber gasket w/o using compression male?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr401b

Reaction score
Having to install a bathtub column I need to extent the 3/8 braided flex pipes sticking out about 3" from the bottom of the column and exposing a
3/8 female connector with a flat rubber gasket around the central metal nozzle. Pretty standard, all flex pipes I see @ HomeDepot are like this.
The (potential) problem is not finding anywhere an extender 3/8 male + 3/8 female where the male connector would not be of type compression.
The problem I see with compression OD male-male adapters or 3/8 male - 3/8 female extenders is the very small contact surface between the male's connector and the rubber gasket - essentially the contact is at the outer edge of the gasket. I did a pressure test with the compression-type extender and for a few hours there were no leaks. But for how long the marginal contact with the rubber gasket will hold, especially with hot water.

Any advice greatly appreciated

column_female_connector.jpg
extender_male_connector.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks