How to enter home in main water line reroute?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mycorrado

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 1965 brick home that sprung a slab leak. I wan't to just run PEX through the attic and down to fixtures.

my question is how does the line make entry into the home. I am in Dallas so I am ok running PEX up and outside wall (insulated of course), but do I really drill down the foundation like 24"?

Another option I thought of was to come up above ground outside and horizontally penetrate the brick right where an inside partion wall meets the outside wall and go up the inside wall.

what is typically done?

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you in a never freeze part of Texas, the water meter is a ground level usually near the lot line at the road. Somewhere next to the wall of the house it will come out of the ground and then into the sidewall of the home. You should see a main shut off and perhaps a blow off valve. It then probably goes down under the slab. If you have city sewer, the sewer line is on one side of the home, city water on the other side.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
57E304E5-8846-4157-A6CA-09568BDEE398_1_105_c.jpeg

Mycorrado

Reaction score
nothing like that. all I see near the house is a dinky faucet barely above ground. going to dig down there which is straight from the meter. but the picture above is what I am thinking of doing. go up and elbow into the brick. that meets code right?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Do you have an irrigation system tied to the city water? Look around at that location. There is no code requirements other than having a shut off and depending on the local jurisdiction, a relief valve. Get a poker of some sort and poke around about a foot from the wall. Yours might be just below ground in a box and grass and weeds have grown over it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Come in any way, any where you want . Providing your deep enough underground and meet frost requirements. For me I come up out of ground exposed out side with a irrigation tee then ball valve, then a PRV, a tee with a hosebib , then 90 degree inside wall then up into attic. but frost is no issue for me . I'm thinking you'll need to adjust procedure because its colder there. perhaps just insulation but check around locally

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks