How to eliminate need to cut concrete?

Users who are viewing this thread

mullyden

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a commercial quality metal building (barn) in the country that I would like to convert approximately a third to living quarters for family outings. We plan to build out a complete first floor and partial second floor. I am having a septic system installed. I would like to avoid digging out the concrete to install a first floor bathroom. I have flexibility locating the bathroom along an exterior wall near where the septic system tie in will be located. Would a wall mounted toilet be an option to eliminate the concrete work? Can the discharge be directed horizontally and/or straight out from the carrier for a short distance? I recognize that a tub would still require a platform. Would a 2 by 6 basedpedistal provide enough clearance for the trap? I guess a macerator toilet is another option, again not eliminating the need for the platform. I would appreciate any guidance and experience you would have to help make the decision. Also I would appreciate any reference for fabricating and laying out a platform. Thanks

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Are you serious?

Why would it be such a big deal to cut a few trenches and do this the right way?

mullyden

Reaction score
@ Diarivee, I was serious, but, based on your comment, I should not be. I am concerned about cutting the foundation under the load bearing external perimeter of the building. I am some what concerned about being able to properly cut and backfill the area. Am I being overly concerned about this?

@hj, It is definitely above my competency, but I did discuss with a plumber. Any hints? Can the same be done with a toilet without one of the possibilities mentioned?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you would want to know if the slab was post tensioned.

There are tubs that accept above-the-floor drain lines. Used often in high-rise buildings.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you raise the floor, which to me would be easy to do with hight ceilings, then I would raise the entire floor.
There is nothing worse then stepping out of a tub or shower and falling out onto the floor. I like to see them on the same level. Getting a tub that drains out the side would be a good idea.
They have toilets that drain out the back; I would consider the Gerberit or Toto wall mount style over the other ones.
I'm not a big fan of pumping the waste if you can get away from that. Pumps need to be replaced and cleaned at some point. Also any power outage means you can't use your plumbing. If you can gravity everything, that would be best.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
While remodelling our 2nd floor bathroom, I want to replace our floor-discharge toilet with a rear-discharge toilet because we're in a log cabin with tongue & groove 2x6's directly on the log beams. The current floor-discharge pipe is hidden in an overhead cabinet in the 1st floor bathroom, but the cabinet looks really out of place above the 1st floor bathroom toilet. Anyway, with so many good things said about Toto toilets on this site, I'm interested in those. Is the Aquia Wall-Hung their only rear-discharge? I'm not wild about adding an in-wall system. It doesn't really matter if it's a wall-mount or floor-mount though. What rear-discharge, external tank toilets should I check out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks