How to ease a stuck sink holding ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spiny

Reaction score
I have a leaking cloakoom sink & wanted to remove the basin waste/plug hole to add some sealant and refit.

I got the U bend off OK, but I can't seem to remove the large plastic nut holding the waste pipe to the sink. "Holding ring" I think this is called. It's 2" wide I can't find anywhere that stocks a calipers or wrenches that wide. The nearest I have is stilsons & they're too unwieldy as the ring is quite narrow.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Usually the best fix for something like that is to remove it (using a hacksaw if necessary), throw it in the waste bin, and install a new one.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Hammer and chisel to get a turn started. Might need someone to hold a pair of pliers into the strainer basket from the top. But they do make wrenches this size that are made for this application. I haven't needed one but they're out there. They even have a little notch to get a firm grip, too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

PLASTIC? I consider a plastic lavatory drain a temporary repair, and the way that "thing" works it should have caused a leak because it apparently puts NO pressure on the center around the drain thread which is where most leaks occur.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks