How to DIY repair the water leak at the main shut off valve joint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vened

Reaction score
Hi all, first timer here!

I'm in Central Texas
main valve.jpg

and just noticed a small water bursting where the main brass shut off valve joints with the 3/4" x 1" Schedule 40 Male PVC Adapter. I think there's even a small crack in that PVC adapter. It's leaking at the rate of ~10 gallons per hour if I am to believe the hourly usage reported on the utility provider website. Posting the picture with the red arrow indicating where the water leaks through. I'm not sure how to remove and replace that 3/4" x 1" Schedule 40 Male PVC Adapter which is to the right side of the valve. Even if I cut out that failed fitting and manage to get the plastic out of the threads, how can I install the new one in between the valve and the pipe? I don't see how I can insert the fitting unless I can push the pipe to the right (is it even possible as it's underground covered by soil ?)

What do you guys think if I apply JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy to the joint area without replacing the cracked fitting? Shall I be aware of any issues doing that?

Thank you

Vened

Reaction score
Not sure what's the rated life on this valve. It's already 16 yrs old. I was thinking of maybe to use epoxy to fix the leak now and then change the pressure fitting later together with the new valve when the current one fails.

I have no previous experience of using epoxy on PVC so I don't know. But the PVC is mentioned among the materials it is for and it's rated for 3960 PSI

1666504645175.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks