How to disconnect p-trap from PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boblothrope

Reaction score
I'm trying to disconnect a pedestal sink's chrome p-trap from the horizontal PVC waste line into the wall. But I don't see any nut to loosen. How does this work? Could it be just a friction fit?

There's a chrome sleeve over the exposed part of the PVC. In the photo it's slid towards the wall. Since it's narrower near the wall, I think there's a wider PVC collar on the outer end, but I still don't see how to disconnect it.

Thanks!
image.jpeg

Boblothrope

Reaction score
Which piece unscrews? The wide PVC collar? Or the chrome p-trap (which would be tricky since it's attached to the sink)?

I'm surprised nothing has flats for a crescent/box wrench. Do I need a strap wrench?

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's an Edsel. Somebody wanted to come up with something that would fix a bunch of problems for everybody. He failed. He sold maybe 500 units nationwide and then went bankrupt. You got one.
That's my guess, no fault of Mr. Ford.

Reach4

Reaction score
The chrome P-trap. Just screw it off.
I think you are saying to
  1. remove the U part of the trap by unscrewing the nuts at A and B.
  2. Turn part C CCW to unscrew whatever lets go first, whether it is part C or the part possibly screwed into the trap adapter.
img_4.jpg

Boblothrope

Reaction score
I think you are saying to
  1. remove the U part of the trap by unscrewing the nuts at A and B.
  2. Turn part C CCW to unscrew whatever lets go first, whether it is part C or the part possibly screwed into the trap adapter.

Thanks, that makes sense.

My remaining question is: What do I hold to keep the pipe inside the wall from twisting? The chrome sleeve (E) spins freely, so not that. Should I grip the PVC with my hand as best I can?

Reach4

Reaction score
My remaining question is: What do I hold to keep the pipe inside the wall from twisting? The chrome sleeve (E) spins freely, so not that. Should I grip the PVC with my hand as best I can?
I am not a plumber, and I have not seen that before. What is in the wall is a sanitary tee, and something is attached to that. That may attach with threads. I am expecting that when you twist C CCW, either threads on C let go, or threads closer to the sanitary tee let go. I am thinking to not try to control which lets go, but to go with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks