How to cope with a 6" rise in a shower drainline

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveoinBoulder

Reaction score
I'm working on a 1909 house in which the previous owner shoe-horned a bathroom into the attic. One part of the 1.5" shower drain line spills into a trap of some type (see photos) while the other spills out of the same trap several inches higher. It seems to have worked for the last 50 years until the lid gasket failed and water started spilling through the ceiling below. We hard piped it using a couple ferncos, elbows and pipes but it's backing up into the shower. I am curious how the old "trap" worked and how I might address the problem. Also, there is nothing close to "tap" into without tearing into the lathe and plaster ceilings and walls below.
Thanks!
Steve

Attachments

• 9L7B+lWgRla+S4LXqC2MIg.jpg
    9L7B+lWgRla+S4LXqC2MIg.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 195
  • JWWJK7+RSAKZ759yW4WPlw.jpg
    JWWJK7+RSAKZ759yW4WPlw.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 191
  • j9m1u8ItSrulL6Vk9ScZaA.jpg
    j9m1u8ItSrulL6Vk9ScZaA.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 177

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

These are the correct couplings. The all rubber ones don't pass any plumbing codes. Over time they will sag out of shape and will need to be replaced.
The couplings above have a metal sleeve to prevent the pipes from shifting.

You should also replace the drum trap with a new P-trap.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

SteveoinBoulder

Reaction score
It was just an ordinary "drum trap". You turned it into a long "P" trap. You must be fairly young if you have never seen one.

Thanks Guys- With regards to installing a P-trap in place of the Drum Trap, does it matter that there is already a P-trap under the shower basin 4' feet away or would I need to remove that (this would involve demo)? I take it the "long P trap" is useless in this application (since it's not working)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks