How to connect PVC tub drain to ABS waste

Users who are viewing this thread

CheetahGeek

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to install a p-trap for an acrylic freestanding bathtub. The tub has an integral overflow. I'm working in the basement. A plumber started the work but moved off to a higher priority job just after the rough in (sans the p-trap) was approved and before the slab poured. I put a 12x12 box around the ABS waste pipe centered at the tub drain location so there is an opening in the concrete. Unfortunately this guy is a great plumber but not a great communicator. He told me that he was planning to install the p-trap with a riser that would be glued to the tub drain. There would be one shot at 'dropping' in the tub.

I know venting is going to be one of the first things you're going to ask about so I can tell you that it is connected properly for the tub, and has been signed off by the inspector along with the rest of the rough in. :D

Where I'm stuck is that the tub drain is PVC and the waste pipe is ABS. I know how to install a p-trap and I have the space but I can't glue PVC and ABS. I'm assuming I'll need a banded coupler but where do I put it? Between the PVC drain stem and an ABS riser? Seems like that's asking for a leak. Does the coupler go between the ABS horizontal with a PVC p-trap and glue down the drain? Still seems like a leak risk.

I'm also wondering if there is another way of installing the p-trap and tub that gives more than one shot at getting the install right.

Help!

CheetahGeek

Engineer
Reaction score
After looking at another thread I may have answered at least one of my questions. Let me know if I've got this right.

Install ABS p-trap. Use a p-trap adapter with slip nut. Slip nut on PVC drain side, connect first, then glue adapter (ABS side) to ABS riser already glued and perfectly sized. Still a one chance install. Not sure how to test or remove.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mission_bandseal.jpg

Plastic to plastic coupling like this for going from ABS to PVC if you have shedule 40.
If you have a tubular size waste and overflow, then it would be a trap adapter using a slip joint nut.
It depends on your waste and overflow. The Kohler tubs I've installed have the glue together waste and overflow and use the coupling above.

wood_4604.jpg

Last edited:

CheetahGeek

Engineer
Reaction score
Terry - I'm not sure where to put the coupler that you show in the picture in our post.
dj2 - the tub drain is integrated and can not be replaced. I'm assuming that's what you mean by waste set.

If I need the coupler I'm not sure where to connect it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The coupling can be in concrete, though normally you have space under that connection unless you intend to pour concrete in afterwards. I don't know who does that though.
We may need some pictures of the parts you're trying to install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks