How to clean bottom of 2004 Kohler tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

alex7

Reaction score
magic eraser

The magic sponge is called "magic eraser". Looks like a sponge but it works as an eraser so it gets dissolved with use. A few companies make it by now.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remember something like that which was supposed to "erase" stains from the marcite bottom of built-in pools. Didn't work. Went back to burning them out with muriatic acid.

elgato

Reaction score
I also have a Kohler about the same age. It is a nightmare to keep the bottom clean and never really has looked very good after the first month.
The two products that worked OK were ZAP (not sure if it is still sold) and Kaboom applied with a green scotch scrubber.
Good luck.

Vincent Vallone

Reaction score
What is a magic sponge,, NO NO they dont work

The best cleaner id ROG 3 and ROG 1 From BCD Kohler recommends this as i called the inventor of the slip guard for kohler tubs....who I talked to the other day said any other cleaner will scratch the finish Just go to www.rog3.com this really works! it may be a little expensive but you get a 2 year supply by getting the R kit 4 bottles for 65.00 is a deal

I called 800-585-2325 BCD Company in Florida and spoke to Debbie, she said the magic sponge will fall apart when scrubbing the slip guard, she is right

their is nothing like a clean sparkly bathtub, to bath in and relax

DR

lschaff

Reaction score
magic sponge

I'm not so much concerned about the magic eraser falling apart (if you've ever used them, that's essentially what they do) as I am worried that the magic sponge will damage the finish of the non-slip surface. I called Kohler today to see what their current position is on cleaning the non-slip surface, and the csr I talked to recommended Tylex Soap Scum remover used with a sponge or nylon brush. I asked about the magic eraser, and she said they had not tested it.

I think the ROG gets a bit expensive by the time you add on $19 shipping. I will try if the Tylex does not work.

Bob Foley

Reaction score
FWIW, last year we installed a Kohler non skid tub. As most owners seem to note, it had gotten kind of grimey looking. Seeing some suggestions I tired this and it worked well. Got the surface wet and lightly scrubbed in a good dose of Bar Keepers Friend. Apparently there is some concern but supposedly its use is endorsed by Kohler. Then I covered the slurry for a few hours with a wet paper towel. With a light scrub with a nylon kitchen type brush, cleaned up very well, pretty quickly--like five or no more than ten minutes of scrubbing. Its probably cleaner than when I installed it. To originally protect the tub when tiling, I covered it with contact paper and a couple of old area carpets which worked well, but it still got some grime by the time I finished. With the BKF and a bit of scrubbing, looks better than new. There is some other product that costs $40 odd dollars that supposedly works well but seems like a lot of work and a lot of money. The BKF costs just a few bucks for a can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks