How to chlorinate an overflowing well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Royerm

Reaction score
Been reading and searching, many similar problems and many solutions
but I'm running short of a complete solution.

I have a 6" well, 150' down with a 20' casing and pump at 125'.
480 GPH according to the well digger.
Been in place for 9 years and never shocked

4.8 PPm of Iron

Water overflows the cap so I drilled and tapped a 1/2" pipe on the side of the casing that runs back into the nature and that keeps my water level about 1' from the top of the casing and still overflow once or twice a year.

I read on how to recirculate back into the well with a hose before the pressure tank
but in my case since it is constantly overflowing, I have doubt on how efficient it would be
to attempt a shock. An Iron Remover with a passive aerator is installed and doing the job
but needs maintenance as valve/pipe/etc gets dirty with iron and sometime pressure degradation.

Any advice???? Thx.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you have there is a true artesian well, good for you. chlorinating the well is going to be a waste of time as the aquifer is constantly forcing water out of the well. You can however treat the water after the pressure tank. Is iron your only problem?

Royerm

Reaction score
An Iron Remover with a passive aerator and backwash with water capability is installed and doing the job
but needs maintenance as valve/pipe/etc gets dirty with iron and sometime pressure degradation.
Also have a softener after the Iron remover.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks