How to check the softener and filter are functioning properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Almost 2 years ago, I installed a Fleck 5600 SXT(salt used in softener) in the garage along with an Apec R/O filter under the kitchen sink. I've noticed that ice cubes(softened water but not filtered) when used in the drinking water from the filtered kitchen sink, melt rapidly. All other drinks, juices, sodas etc, ice cubes last for much longer time.

Is it the aggressive R/O filtered water causing the ice to melt so fast?

What type of testing is available to verify the water at the kitchen sink, and all other faucets are at an optimal level?

Municipal water source

Reach4

Reaction score
Hach 5-B to test the residual hardness from the softener.
TDS meter to test the RO water. (those are cheap)

Your observation that the ice cubes melt faster in RO water surprises me a bit. If that is the case, I would expect that water to be colder after 10 minutes than cubes in your other liquids. These assume that the other liquids were the same temperature rather than being brought out of the fridge.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Forgot I have the Hach 5 kit from back when I researched what I needed to install the softener. So that will give me the hardness level, and adjust the softener settings accordingly. What levels would I be looking for with the TDS meter?

MaxBlack

Reaction score
For my own Culligan water quality monitor, they look for a 75% reduction. So test non-RO in and RO out and (maybe) be happy with the result.

Hmm I just checked my logs and my own setup has >1000ppm in, and then <50 after RO, so much better than 75%. Maybe that is the point at which my monitor stops showing green.

Reach4

Reaction score
Forgot I have the Hach 5 kit from back when I researched what I needed to install the softener. So that will give me the hardness level, and adjust the softener settings accordingly. What levels would I be looking for with the TDS meter?
On the TDS, I am not sure. I think I have read 10% of the TDS of the raw water, or better.

Bannerman

Reaction score
While 95% or higher TDS rejection is typical when the membrane is new, the rejection percentage will usually become somewhat lower over the membrane's usual 3-5 year usable lifespan. By periodically comparing the TDS of the incoming raw water vs the RO water from the faucet, you will be able to monitor the amount of rejection which will assist you to decide when to replace the membrane.

It's also important to recognize the membrane will reject the greatest percentage of TDS after a quantity of RO water has been produced. When the RO storage tank becomes filled and water production has stopped, the pressure on both sides of the membrane will become equalized which will allow some TDS to pass through the membrane by osmosis which is commonly referred to as 'TDS Creep'. The TDS that has crept through will then flow to the storage tank and faucet when production is resumed which will often cause the TDS meter to measure higher TDS than what is actually passing through the membrane during steady production.

To minimize TDS creep, an RO unit's Auto Shutoff Valve (ASV) will restore production after the storage tank pressure has fallen by 20%, thereby ensuring ~20% of the tank's capacity will be produced each time as opposed to commencing production each time a small quantity of water is drawn off.

For further explanation regarding TDS, see: https://rkin.com/blogs/news/getting-a-high-tds-reading-with-your-reverse-osmosis-system

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks