How to calculate effective Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Tilak Conrad

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

Thanks for permitting me on board and please forgive what are likely two stupid/obvious question. I am not a plumber etc but am interested in understanding how this is calculated for my situation to ascertain whether I am being as efficient as possible in terms of operational cost as we have a very high cost of electricity. I'm based in a remote part of Sri Lanka and any advice is gratefully solicited.
  • I have a borewell 570ft deep - 6 inches internal diameter.
  • The water comes up to 30ft below the ground level
  • I have a 3Hp submersible pump that is suspended 130ft below the ground level - meaning it has about 100ft of water above the pump.
  • The outlet pipe (2inch) runs straight up and then also (2 inch) horizontally for 40ft and the water drops into a ground tank.
  • The pump is currently delivering 200 l/min - 12,000 l/hr
  • The well supposedly has a recharge rate in excess of 500 l/min - I am not able to test this but I have run my pump for 18 hours with no issues so it seems certainly to have a recharge rate above 200 l/min in this period which is the worst drought we've had in decades.

Questions
=========

• What is my actual head? Is it 130ft or 30ft (plus presumably the impact of the horizontal run - and roughly how much is this impact).
  • Is it more efficient to raise the pump somewhat - ensuring that water always remains above the pump?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice

regards

Tilak

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It doesn't matter how deep under water the pump is. It is only lifting from the water level. The pump could be at 300' and with a water level of 30', it is only lifting from 30'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks