How to block a water pipe, and keep it blocked under pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Utterly Exhausted

Reaction score
I want to block a water line, and keep it blocked when the pressure comes back on.

I am working on a house in Central America with a damaged water pipe under the sink. The damaged pipe formerly had a steel pipe threaded into it. The steel pipe corroded and attempts to remove it left the corroded threaded part stuck inside the pipe in the wall.

Since this is a concrete block house, the water line was embedded in concrete during construction. Not easy to modify.

After extensive attempts to remove the corroded pipe from the threads, I decided to block the pipe. (There is another line next to it, and houses here dont plumb hot water to sinks, if they have it at all. Thus, only one line is needed.)

I tried the following to block the pipe:
1) Stuffed some plastic bags down it (keep cement in step 2 from traveling).
2) Filled a PVC cap with a cement designed to cure after 10-15 mins. Painted the concrete wall with concrete adhesive & put the cement-filled cap over the pipe. The idea was to cap the line with concrete and forget about it.

After letting the cement cure for 2 hours (adverised time 10-15 mins), I turned the water pressure back on. Looked fine for 10 mins but then started dripping.

How can I block this water line? (assume that I can use a cutting wheel or drill with appropriate bit to remove the concrete cap). Equipment and materials are limited here.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may need to get a cold chisel and a hammer . You will need to chisel out enough of the wall so you can work on the pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may need to get a cold chisel and a hammer . You will need to chisel out enough of the wall so you can work on the pipe.

I agree.
Open the wall up and then you can find a fitting with good threads, and either cap or plug it.
You will need two wrenches. One to back the fitting and one for the pipe. You will need to be very careful or the damage can go even farther into the wall. The pipes are most likely 1/2" threaded galvanized, and there may be a hardware store in a town nearby that has those standard fittings. A picture 800 pixels or less would help us, help you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks