How to add a drain from an upstairs bar sink to basement standing pipe run

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlevoix

Reaction score
Already posted this on a different forum and then saw this one, so here it is again:

I added an upstairs small bar sink with a mini studor vent above the area where my washing machine drain is located on the floor below in the basement. I would like to tie the upstairs drain into the washing machine drain area. The sink drain comes down roughly above where the standing pipe is located. What would be the best place to cut the upstairs drain into the washing machine drain pipe and be sure everything stays adequately vented? Thank you!

Charlevoix-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tie in would be below the santee for the washer trap arm, or if needed, even lower on the horizontal main drain out to the left.

Charlevoix

Reaction score
Could I just extend the pipe where the lower 2" cleanout is beyond the standing tube and drop the upstairs drain into that and then add another cleanout just past where the upstairs pipe enters? If so, can the extension be a 1 1/2" pipe with a 1 1/2" cleanout at the end or do I need to keep the 2" line intact all the way? If I switch to 1 1/2", then I can just adapt the 2" threaded cleanout to 1 1/2", otherwise I will need to remove the 2" threaded end altogether to keep going as 2". Last question, when I drop the 1 1/2" upper drain into the newly created horizontal, should I use a wye, or a regular 1 1/2" sanitary tee? Thanks so much for your expert advice!

Charlevoix-02.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In order by ?:

1) Yes
2) Not sure if a 1-1/2" extension would be allowed (it would other than the cleanout issue), but a 2" extension and cleanout is best. Not sure if connecting via threading into the cleanout is allowed, but cutting it back and solvent welding would be best.
3) A san-tee can never be used on its back where it the top (side) connection is drainage coming in. You need a wye or a combo.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks