How should I install Drain Line for my Water Softner System?

Users who are viewing this thread

luhem519

Reaction score
https://airgap.com/product/washing-machine-air-gap-ag140-001/ has more pictures and installation methods.

While I said 3/4 would be the official recommendation, I fully believe that using 1/2 inch pvc for some or all would be fine. 1/2 inch should be particularly easier at the end.

If you can do some drywall work, this will be the nicest looking:
AG140-002-4.jpg

thanks, Reach4.

So which one do you recommend for air gap AG014-001 or 002? .. I am leaning toward AG014-001. Can I use clear 1/2 clear pipe vinyl tubing for the drain from a water softener or I should stick 1/2" pvc for drain all the way? In the clear vinyl, I can the water pumping through or not.

Also, Is it okay to make the washing machine drain pipe to be smaller to fit this AG014-001?

Capture.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks, Reach4.

So which one do you recommend for air gap AG014-001 or 002? .. I am leaning toward AG014-001. Can I use clear 1/2 clear pipe vinyl tubing for the drain from a water softener or I should stick 1/2" pvc for drain all the way? In the clear vinyl, I can the water pumping through or not.

Also, Is it okay to make the washing machine drain pipe to be smaller to fit this AG014-001?
-002 is supposed to be for 1.5 inch, but I don't know if that might fit better using that pipe-extension method shown in the picture I posted. I have never actually seen either for real.

Vinyl vs PVC? If that is the 5/8 OD 1/2 ID vinyl, I expect that would be fine.

Check out https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-10-ft-L-3-4-in-O-D-Inlet-x-1-1-4-in-O-D-Outlet-PVC-Washing-Machine-Drain-Hose/50053909

That looks like it could share the available space nicely.

luhem519

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Reach4 for helping. I will order the "001" as I see a lot of people had success and some mentions it meets the code.

I will update the forum on how everything works out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think the opening on your wallbox is smaller than 2" and that you will need to enlarge it. As for the washer drain hose, I would replace it with a soft rubber hose that has a molded 180 degree hook on the end. Alternately you might find an aluminum hook and flatten it a little if need be.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Reach4 for helping. I will order the "001" as I see a lot of people had success and some mentions it meets the code.
I have re-thought this. The -002, if I read correctly, includes some hose to put on the bottom and mounting screws to mount the unit to the back of the box. That hose would seem to allow more flexibility -- no pun intended. That might be the better choice, even if the hole is 2 inches.

The -001 goes right into the 2 inch hole with a hard piece that leaves a space for the WM drain line. Is that going to fit into your left-side hole?

luhem519

Reaction score
I have re-thought this. The -002, if I read correctly, includes some hose to put on the bottom and mounting screws to mount the unit to the back of the box. That hose would seem to allow more flexibility -- no pun intended. That might be the better choice, even if the hole is 2 inches.

The -001 goes right into the 2 inch hole with a hard piece that leaves a space for the WM drain line. Is that going to fit into your left-side hole?

Ok, I bought 001 version and here's what it looks like... I agree that 002 gives that flexibility. Please let me know if you think I should return this part and get 002.

There is about 1-inch room space for WM Drain line.
IMG_3732.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
Please let me know if you think I should return this part and get 002.
If there is not enough space remaining for the WM hose, perhaps the pipe clamp may be removed from the 001, effectively converting it to a 002 by adding a short piece of hose. The only thing then required would be a mounting clip which I anticipate could be fashioned with 2 nylon zip ties and 2 self adhesive zip tie clips.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, I bought 001 version and here's what it looks like... I agree that 002 gives that flexibility. Please let me know if you think I should return this part and get 002.

There is about 1-inch room space for WM Drain line.
Maybe.

See the link in #22. That says the j-bend output is 1-1/4 OD. So if that fits, then you could keep the -001.

How do you plan to hook up to the input of the air gap? If I remember correctly, there are Youtube videos that show alternatives.

If there is not enough space remaining for the WM hose, perhaps the pipe clamp may be removed from the 001, effectively converting it to a 002 by adding a short piece of hose. The only thing then required would be a mounting clip which I anticipate could be fashioned with 2 nylon zip ties.
Since the -002 includes the mounting plate that may clip onto the airgap somehow. The nylon ties could work, but it is not clear that would be as good.

I am thinking the -002 may offer significant advantage for this install.

luhem519

Reaction score
I am installing today and I want to make sure if I can bring the drain line 25 ft long and about 10 ft up from the basement to my 1st floor for water softner Fleck 5600sxt?

luhem519

Reaction score
Hi guys,

here's the update on the installation. The only thing still giving me trouble is drain pipe. I am re thinking to add this drain line to my sewer pipe. Please let me know if this is the right design? I took the design from this forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-water-softener-to-overhead-sewer-line.80481/ Please kindly correct the picture or give feedback.

If the below option is not a good option and then I have to take my clear vinyl to the first floor which is 40 ft length and 15 ft high which I think may or may not work.

by the way, what is AAV in the picture?
IMG_3752.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
An AAV (Air Admittance Valve) is for when you cannot or don't want to run a loop over to a real vent stack.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You don't need an AAV if you run a loop over to your vent stack. It would probably be easier to locate the standpipe closer to where the vent stack is and run the softener drain over to it. The vent line has to be sloped toward the drain but the softener drain doesn't need to be sloped.

luhem519

Reaction score
You don't need an AAV if you run a loop over to your vent stack. It would probably be easier to locate the standpipe closer to where the vent stack is and run the softener drain over to it. The vent line has to be sloped toward the drain but the softener drain doesn't need to be sloped.
I am so sorry ..my knowledge is plumbing is zero.. what is vent stack ? I don't have any stand pipe in my basement

luhem519

Reaction score
I would use 1-1/2 pipe. An AAV such as described here would fit over the top. http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/038753390161_install.pdf
Thank you, Reach4. So I can do below set up and use AAV? Is AAV must for drain pipe?
Hi guys,

here's the update on the installation. The only thing still giving me trouble is drain pipe. I am re thinking to add this drain line to my sewer pipe. Please let me know if this is the right design? I took the design from this forum https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-water-softener-to-overhead-sewer-line.80481/ Please kindly correct the picture or give feedback.

If the below option is not a good option and then I have to take my clear vinyl to the first floor which is 40 ft length and 15 ft high which I think may or may not work.

by the way, what is AAV in the picture?
View attachment 56201

Reach4

Reaction score
I am so sorry ..my knowledge is plumbing is zero.. what is vent stack ? I don't have any stand pipe in my basement
The thing that the drain line feeds into in your #31 posting is called a standpipe. The vertical pipe should be topped with an air gap, and the drain line connects to the air gap.

The air admittance valve (AAV) is an alternative to using a vent that joins other vent lines in your house at least 42 inches above the next floor up. The purpose of either kind of vent is to prevent the trap from siphoning out. The purpose of the trap is to keep sewer smells out of the living space.

Last edited:

luhem519

Reaction score
I installed the water softener system finally and thank you all for the help :) .. I will try to post the picture when I get a chance. I ended up running pipe upstairs in WM line and used 001 product for air gap.

I am not sure if I should post here or I should post on the new topic but this is kind of follow up question .. I taste sodium in water softner and after reading so much I understood that I need to install Reverse Osmosis to remove Sodium. Which one do you guys recommend?
I am thinking to get this
https://www.ro-system.org/ispring-rcc7ak-reverse-osmosis-review/
any suggestion?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I taste sodium in water softner
Is the salty taste occurring only after regeneration occurs? What is the hardness amount in the raw water?

The Brine Draw/Slow Rinse stage of the regeneration cycle is usually programmed for 60 minutes duration. Brine should all be drawn out from the brine tank within approx the first 15 minutes of the 60 minutes, leaving 45 minutes to push the brine through the resin and to rinse salt residue to drain. If brine draw is taking more than 15 minutes to empty the brine tank, the Brine Draw setting may need to be extended to eliminate the salty taste following regeneration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks