How not to tap for power!

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Credit given to 'family Handyman' web site. It won the annual widow maker award.

1672535656329.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I wonder why they wire-nutted that short red jumper onto the black wire when the black wire would have reached the "tap".

Afjes

Reaction score
I ran across something maybe better a few years back when going on a call to a new customer.
Arrived at the house and the home owners showed me that he removed the panel from the side of the house next to his. He owned both sides.

He pulled out the two live lines from the panel without killing the power first to the house and there was no disconnect before the panel.Yikes!!

Another customer wanted me to install his new range. He said he blew out the line 120/240 though when he plugged in the new 4 wire cord he bought. I could not understand how until I got there. He had a gas range prior. There was an existing 4 wire receptacle NEMA 14/50 so what he did was while the new cord was still disconnected and still in the factory wrap he decided he was going to plug the cord into the live receptacle to see if it fit - oups - a big bang and sparks flying all over from the tips of the new cord still in the bundle/wrap. I told him he was lucky he did not kill himself. Needless to say he needed to buy another 4 wire range cord.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Arent we supposed to bend the new wire arround the screw clockwise? just an old wives tale?
Sounds like a good way to save on power bill tap that in on other side of meter . The smart meter might catch you though LOL

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Arent we supposed to bend the new wire arround the screw clockwise? just an old wives tale?
Yes, clockwise. Not an old wives tale.

I wondered if that might be a meter base but a meter base would not have all those small gauge wires at the top.

Decades ago Ontario Hydro had a water heater rental program where it was wired before the meter and you paid a flat rate. They also had yard lights wired the same way. Some folks would piggyback on the "free" circuit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, clockwise. Not an old wives tale.

I wondered if that might be a meter base but a meter base would not have all those small gauge wires at the top.

Decades ago Ontario Hydro had a water heater rental program where it was wired before the meter and you paid a flat rate. They also had yard lights wired the same way. Some folks would piggyback on the "free" circuit.
ha ha just a joke about wives tale too. its all so wrong....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks