How much water in the boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob C

Reaction score
I have 3 zone baseboard heat. I had to replace the pressure relief valve on the boiler and I now have air in the 2nd floor baseboards. I have bled the zone but still have some trapped air so I need to do some more bleeding. My concern is how to tell how full the boiler is. Do I just go by the pressure gauge? When it's at 15 psi there's enough water and close the fast fill or is there another way yo tell? Thanks for your help.

Rob C

Reaction score
Maybe I should re-phrase

As I'm bleeding the air from the zone, I have the auto fill valve open for fast fill. If I maintain the pressure @15 psi as I bleed, will I keep the proper water level in the boiler? Is there a way to tell how much water is in the boiler? Is it just by reading the pressure gauge?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
As I'm bleeding the air from the zone, I have the auto fill valve open for fast fill. If I maintain the pressure @15 psi as I bleed, will I keep the proper water level in the boiler? Is there a way to tell how much water is in the boiler? Is it just by reading the pressure gauge?

what type of system do you have? Loop or one pipe. Is your baseboard cast iron or copper fin?

John

Rob C

Reaction score
It's copper fin baseboard. Not sure what you mean by loop or one pipe

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
A one pipe system has a main running around the basement, it will have two tees for each section of baseboard. With a loop system there is no main it feeds from one section of baseboard to the other.

John

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
The way to vent a loop system is to purge it. I may be able to help you get through the process if you can post a picture of your boiler & piping.

John

Rob C

Reaction score
John,
Thanks for the offer but I called the oil company since we have a service contract. Something just didn't seem right to me. Turns out that the feed valve was clogged up with crud and corrosion. He replaced the valve and purged the system. Everything is working fine now. Thanks again for offering to help.
Rob

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks