How much should I tighten the exterior setting ring of a shower drain and what tools can I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
I did not have a specialized wrench for that, like the one below, so I used a mallet and a piece of wood to gently hammer/tighten the ring. The putty keeps getting out in time due to compression and then the ring gets a little bit lose ...so when do I stop ? :)
F0YQcbL.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would immediately stop using the hammer and tap method as you're just going to push the shower drain around the shower base as a percentage of force is applied to push the drain and none is pulling the other side. Buy any form of tool that allows you to rotate the ring while maintaining its position in the shower pan.

But when applying putty, I put the least amount in that I know will make a seal which in turn leaves the least amount to gush out as you tighten. In the end the ring needs to be unable to move by hand. If its loose enough to move by hand its not tight enough.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A pair of pliers to start with.. 14" usually can grip 2 of the protrusions. A 20" pliers usually grip the whole nut.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, Totally depends on whether the pan is already installed or if you have room to work on it.

Should have mentioned too, that if you're doing it as a remodel with a pan already in place, then Don't even bother with any that require turning that huge nut to make the seal. Total waste of effort.

Sioux Chief Jackrabbit.. tightens with a screwdriver. Only drain I'll use on a shower pan until something better comes along.

827-2j.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not have a specialized wrench for that, like the one below, so I used a mallet and a piece of wood to gently hammer/tighten the ring.
How about a photo showing what you are looking at and hammering on?

Mini Me

Reaction score
The ABS pipe that the drain gets tighten on is not glued in but it will go into that hub that looks like builtin into the leveling cement that sneaked in when I leveled the floor. That was fortunate since I was planning to pour concrete there anyway
xzQ77Y4.jpeg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have the correct size hole saw, you could easily make a wrench out of plywood by adding 4 slots to the hole. Or with great care you could make it with a jig saw.

Cheers, Wayne

Mini Me

Reaction score
If you have the correct size hole saw, you could easily make a wrench out of plywood by adding 4 slots to the hole. Or with great care you could make it with a jig saw.

Cheers, Wayne
I am considering a clamp and two pieces of wood to emulate the vise

Mini Me

Reaction score
I ended up using one of these; tighten enough to lock the jaws in position next to the pins used for grip by the specialized wrench. At that point you can rotate it toward the right to tighten and it will apply pressure on the pins on both sides equally
51RNWAszw4L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Mini Me

Reaction score
It would also work with two screws properly space and aligned, screwed in a piece of wood

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another advantage of the pipe clamp is that you can use rotational force from both sides of the tool which helps keep the drain centered. Nice hack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks