How much should I pay for A O Smith ProLine GCR-40 Water Heater replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Anka

Reaction score
I was given a quote of $1600 by local plumber, central Wisconsin.
Is this price fair? I don't want A O Smith from Lowes-signatures series. 40 gallon natural gas water heater.
Thanks, Anna

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We don't get into pricing here. Sometimes it's good to get three local quotes.
Also with pricing, a lot depends on the area. The cost of living where you're at makes a difference.
That does sound good for a gas water heater install though.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Just for hoots and giggles, here are some SF Bay Area local prices that a friend collected recently:
1. "Home Depot" sponsored installer, incl Rheem 9 yr $1,739. lowest price available
2. Next in line was $1,900.
3. The rest were $2,479. $2,750., $2,899.
None of those included permit costs of around an additional $200.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That price sounds moderate here I think you'd find more to be higher than lower but my guess is Ca prices are higher .

Anka

Reaction score
We don't get into pricing here. Sometimes it's good to get three local quotes.
Also with pricing, a lot depends on the area. The cost of living where you're at makes a difference.
That does sound good for a gas water heater install though.
Thank You!

Valor Plumber

Reaction score
Is this price fair? I don't want A O Smith from Lowes-signatures series. 40 gallon natural gas water heater.
Thanks, Anna

Thanks, Anna
Howdy from Minnesota. That’s about right. If it’s from a supply house. Currently my Ao smith gcr 40 from my supplier is 940$. (A regional supplier). They jumped up 200$ last month. I quote 4hours (at 130$) and 100$ materials (10ft 3/4 copper, new gas valve, water valve and unions) plus disposal fee. 50$. That 4hours includes material handling that sounds right. Make sure it includes all necessary venting (inspection and replacement). Also. How’s your water softener. Make sure it’s soft. Best time to replace it is wile he’s there with the water off.
Hard water does terrible things. Including lowering the waterheaters efficiency. Nothing worse for me to return to a house a year after someone installed a new water heater to flush it out and replace the 20year old softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks