How much PTFE tape should I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Flapper

Reaction score
A fair amount of threaded connections that we made, have leaked, and I learned that I need to use more tape. So when I do a connection, I wrap it 10-20 times. But people say you wrap it like 3-5 times! And I consume a lot of expensive tape.
How much tape should I be using? One source said that you should wrap it until the threads are barely visible through it, which is what I do; I wrap it until it is bulgy. 3-5 warps won't do that; you see the threads sharply through it.
How many times do you wrap it?
(BTW, I mostly do 3/4 pipe threads.)

Reach4

Reaction score
You might want to consider using thicker tape. The cheap stuff is very thin, and I find it hard to apply without having it wrinkling up. I found the Oatey pink tape easier to use than the generic cheap white tape.

http://www.oatey.com/products/thread-sealants/tape Hmmm. Says that their good white and pink are both 3 mils, but the pink is higher density. Looks like the yellow tape, usually used for gas lines but very good for water, is thicker and dense.

I just checked the description of their cheaper Hercules "TFE Pipe Joint Tape". It says
"Constructed from durable, chemically inert low-grade polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) material" Wow. You don't see descriptions like that very often.

Edit: It seems density is a big deal in PTFE tape. http://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/manufacturing_process_equipment/stock_fabricated_materials_components/thread_tapes says
HigH-density PTFE thread tapes usually have a density of .70 g/cm3 or 1.2 g/cm3. Low-density PTFE thread tapes usually have a density of .37 g/cm3.​

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
10-20 times?

I'd like to sell you teflon tape......
See, that's what's so weird about this; people say 3-5 times and 10-20 times surprises them. But for me to actually get a nice fat wrap (so that the threads are barely visible, like one article said) I do have to wrap it 10-20 times, and even 10 times is a little bit not enough. 3-5 times, no way!
The tape I use is the stuff in the red roll for $1.38: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-520-in-Thread-Seal-Tape-31273/202206819 The picture shows a random blue roll but the roll is actually red, and it is 520 inches, whereas the blue rolls they sell are 260 inches.

Reach4

Reaction score
See, that's what's so weird about this; people say 3-5 times and 10-20 times surprises them. But for me to actually get a nice fat wrap (so that the threads are barely visible, like one article said) I do have to wrap it 10-20 times, and even 10 times is a little bit not enough. 3-5 times, no way!
Do you spiral the wrap, or wrap each layer over the previous layer. From what I have read, over-the-previous-layer is the right way.

When I clicked on your HD link, it said $0.87. I then selected the Kifer Rd #640Sunnyvale, CA 94086 store, and it said $1.38. $1.53 in the Manhattan West store in NYC.

I suggest going to the Oatey pink or yellow.

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
Do you spiral the wrap, or wrap each layer over the previous layer. From what I have read, over-the-previous-layer is the right way.
Usually the threads are about the same width (or slightly larger) than the width of the tape, so of course I wrap the tape over itself.

When I clicked on your HD link, it said $0.87.
Hmm, it's probably a different price at other locations. That page is for the red rolls you find in the store.

Can I use gas thread seal tape for water? Maybe I'll try that.
What about the Oatey FASTape? http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-260-in-PTFE-Thread-Seal-Tape-306212/203529858
It claims to be 3 times denser than regular tape, so you need 1/3 the wraps, so it is equivalent to 780" of regular tape... It's $2.97, so it is $0.00380769 per inch. The tape I use is 520" and $1.38 so it is $0.00265385 per inch...

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
Also, nobody has answered my question:
What should the wrap be like? After wrapping, is it supposed to be bulgy/puffy and you can barely see the threads through it?

Reach4

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg
This looks ready to cut off or tear off to me.
teflon4.jpg

Now we can discuss whether it better to tear off or cut.

I would have left the first thread, or at least most of the first thread, without tape to make getting started easier.

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
I answered, but you didn't like my answer. What I do works. But you can keep trying. :)
Oh, well I was wondering about using only tape.
I think I'll stick with 10 wraps or so, but experimenting will be needed..

Reach4

Reaction score
What about the Oatey FASTape? http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-260-in-PTFE-Thread-Seal-Tape-306212/203529858
It claims to be 3 times denser than regular tape,
It seems odd that it is not listed on oatey.com. I don't find the density claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape says
MIL-T-27730A (an obsolete military specification still commonly used in industry in the US) requires a minimum thickness of 3.5 mils and a minimum PTFE purity of 99%. The second standard, A-A-58092,[5] is a commercial grade which maintains the thickness requirement of MIL-T-27730A and adds a minimum density of 1.2 g/cm3.​

HD specs say it meets that T-27730A spec. I don't know how PTFE purity number compares with the density called for by A-A-58092.

The yellow Oatey tape would be a definite upgrade over the lower end tape.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Translation:
Terry doesn't know what he's talking about.

I thought that was what flapper was thinking too.

On Wednesday I was installing some 3/4" brass on a water heater for the expansion tank. I had pulled a ton of stuff out of the van and forgot to put the pipe dope back in. Tape wasn't working for me. I had to make a trip to the supplier, pick up some thread sealant in a can, go back, tape up and dope up to complete the job. So yeah, most of the time with threaded brass, I'm looking to use both. It saves a lot of time.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree Terry. The lead free brass is different to work with, so whenever we install a tank we tape and dope every single joint to ensure that we have no leaks.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
This post is sum what stupid. I use about 8 wraps with paste to. If it's plastic to metal I use more. 3 or 4 wraps will show signs of leakage over years. If it's not under pressure I may use lots or little too get my correct distance

Reach4

Reaction score
This post is sum what stupid. I use about 8 wraps with paste to. If it's plastic to metal I use more. 3 or 4 wraps will show signs of leakage over years. If it's not under pressure I may use lots or little too get my correct distance
Do you use the cheap tape, or do you get a more premium tape such as a higher density tape?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks