How Much Length? Valve Bonnet Packing for Hose Bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

The washer and packing was worn on my hose bib.

I took it apart and replaced the washer and and removed the packing and put in the Danco Self forming graphite valve packing. It is the small box from Lowes it was around $3. is is 3/32" x 24" rope.

After I put it back together the washer is now holding well however the leak is bad through the stem. I took it apart immediately and the new packing rope that I just replaced was hard to work with as it was wet and just installed. I tried it again and still the same problem.

So I have a few questions.

Approximately how much packing rope should I use? How many inches long?

Does it matter which direction I wrap the rope on the stem?

Are there any tips or tricks on where the stem / washer position should be when I tighten down the bonnet nut?

This seems very straight forward however I am not getting results.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

Thank You.

IMGP3078.JPG

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When using packing for a stuffing box (nut) many people just wrap it around which is wrong.

Like yarning a hub joint you cut the packing and place enough to just make it go around then cut another piece and place it 180 deg from the first strand then next is 90 deg apart and the last is 180 from the last

You may have to loosen and retighten the nut several times to compress the packing

Reach4

Reaction score
Approximately how much packing rope should I use? How many inches long?

Does it matter which direction I wrap the rope on the stem?
The only time I used packing cord, I used the white PTFE stuff. (others prefer the black graphite type) I did not remove the existing packing. I might have made 3 or 4 turns of packing CW. That way, when I tightened the packing nut, the nut would not be unwinding. Leaking stopped.

Anyway, I feel fairly confident on the CW aspect for packing cord.

Murphysf

Reaction score
When using packing for a stuffing box (nut) many people just wrap it around which is wrong.

Like yarning a hub joint you cut the packing and place enough to just make it go around then cut another piece and place it 180 deg from the first strand then next is 90 deg apart and the last is 180 from the last

You may have to loosen and retighten the nut several times to compress the packing
Sylvan thanks for the reply and for sharing your knowledge.

Ill give it a try later today.

Should I use the graphite rope or the other danco rope part number 80794?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sylvan thanks for the reply and for sharing your knowledge.

Ill give it a try later today.

Should I use the graphite rope or the other danco rope part number 80794?

I use graphite and Teflon

For steam valves ,packing gland / stuffing box I like graphite but for your type of valve either one should work just use the nut to compress 2 or 3 strands and then continue to pack it NOT to much or to tight .

Just enough for it to stop dripping .

You may find mineral oil (non toxic) helps soften the graphite making it more pliable

Also all valves should be fully opened and turned back a 1/4 turn unless your using it as a globe type of valve to throttle the medium that is flowing

Murphysf

Reaction score

Thanks again. I got it to stop leaking. I wrapped the rope all the way up the stem and then down. It was too much to get the nut started so I cut a little off near the top of the stem.

I am still trying to understand the technique that you mentioned:

"Like yarning a hub joint you cut the packing and place enough to just make it go around then cut another piece and place it 180 deg from the first strand then next is 90 deg apart and the last is 180 from the last"

Is the piece of rope continuous all the way up the stem? That is what I thought at first, however when I re-read what you wrote it seems like it is a bunch of small pieces that make just one revolution around the stem at just one location. So these pieces would be about 1/2 inch in length?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks