How much length does ABS need to grip a closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo

Reaction score
This is sort of related to my dry fitting a toilet flange question.

If I need to cut off some of the toilet flange before sliding it over the closet bend, how much pipe length would still be OK for holding the flange to the closet bend? Would 1 inch be enough for the glue to hold the flange to the bend? Especially if I screw the flange into the concrete floor with 6 tapon screws after I glue it.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Place the flange on the pipe (dry fit), make sure it's on tight then measure to the floor.
Cut that amount off the pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

If you have to cut it off, then you cut it at the finished floor height and then glue the flange on after the flooring is installed. The only time you need to worry about how much length you need is when the bend is below the floor and you have to "stretch" the flange to reach it.

Geo

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Place the flange on the pipe (dry fit), make sure it's on tight then measure to the floor.
Cut that amount off the pipe.

Thanks for everyone who helped!

I did exactly what you said Grumpyplumber and it worked perfect. Cut about 1/2 inch off the flange and had about one inch left to glue. Dry fitted it and then wiggled it off and glued it and put it on and it met the floor perfectly.

Then bolted it down with 4 tapcon screws, installed the toilet and the darn thing is flushing great! My wife is now happy to have a bathroom in the basement!

Thanks for your help!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks