How much does a 6' x ~42" acrylic garden tub weigh?

Users who are viewing this thread

MiamiCanes

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
At some point over the next few weeks, I'm going to have to tear out and remove the existing 6' x 42" acrylic garden soaking tub in my bathroom, carry it downstairs, and leave it in front of the house on "bulk trash day", and somehow get the new one upstairs and into position.

Just how heavy and unwieldy IS a tub like this? Are they...

a) Unwieldy, but surprisingly lightweight, all things considered.

b) Draggable across the room, but likely to cause major damage and/or injury if I try moving one up/down the stairs myself

c) So heavy, the possibility of damage and/or injury is almost moot, because I won't be able to meaningfully budge it myself anyway.

I'm guessing that something like an enameled steel tub would clearly and unambiguously fit into category "c", but I'm not sure about acrylic. For comparison, I've managed to get a home gym (even broken down into pieces, the frame parts were ~100 pounds and quite unwieldy), a fully-assembled eliptical cross trainer, a room full of Ikea furniture (one box at a time), and 80-pound full sheets of Dens-shield (armor?) drywall upstairs by myself (the drywall was by far the hardest to get up... it was heavy, unwieldy, and wiggled madly all over the place, all while embedding millions of microscopic needles into my forearms).

If it's unquestionably not something one person can do, is it at least something TWO in-shape guys can pull off?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I looked up a 6' X 42" AmStd garden tub and it lists 115 pounds. That is manageable. The hard part is the size You will need quite a bit of finished wall demolition to get that out, and depending on the arrangement of the room, might have to remove toilet or lav. Once you get it aimed at the door, are there any close corners you may have to negotiate?

Most of us would chop an acrylic tub up with a sawzall to get it out. Getting the new one in will still be tricky.

MiamiCanes

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, it looks like I got one major detail wrong... I now suspect it's cultured marble... mainly because it was put in by the builder (cheap) & has marble-like swirls. I'm also unsure about whether I want to replace it at all, instead of putting it back after I've torn out the moldy drywall (possibly giving its underside a good cleaning w/bleach & Microban). Aesthetically, the old tub's not *bad* (a little yellower than the beige tub that would replace it), and it kind of seems like I'd be burning a kilobuck I don't really have to burn just to end up with almost the same thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks