How many code violations do you see?

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
My friend bought a tree house home that was built in 1976, , in a remote area of Florida. He bought it without an inspection.

His new homeowners insurance company has scheduled an inspection in 2 weeks.

I went by and looked at his breaker panel and saw it was an infamous Federal Pacific Stab Lock panel.

In addition to it being a Fed Pacific panel see from pictures how many unsafe and code violations you can spot.

After having a conversation a few days ago, yesterday he replaced the panel with a much safer Square-D panel so it should be ready for the insurance company inspection.

XknKgUwl.jpg

mHJaxQMl.jpg

dqUU3mEl.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
Was the new panel placed in a different location? Or the bench removed? Working space is one of the NEC requirements.

JerryR

Reaction score
He cut out part of the work bench below. Does it look like it meets code?

Also notice in the original pictures each leg of the upper 60 amp breaker had 2 wires on it.

YgLXuGYl.jpg

ZmznPGdl.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
Code requires 30" wide space and 36" access in front. Code inspectors commonly will grandfather this but this doesn't look good. Insurance inspectors probably don't care. I've found they are more interested in power strips and extension cords mis-used.

Cables also need secured within 12" of box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks