How long to run well pump to keep storage tank full?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edward Shilts

LlanoLonghorn
Reaction score
For the health of the well pump and the well is it better to run the pump 1 hour continuous or two ½ hr sessions during a 24 hr period in order to keep my 2500 gal storage tank full? The well is a 10 gal/min well and the well pump is a ½ hp Goulds.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your submersible pump will either have a built-in check valve or there will be one mounted right above the pump. That is the only check valve you want. Unrestricted pipe is usually good.

I presume you have a float switch, to keep your tank from overflowing, in series with the timer. More common is to not have the timer, and set up the float switch to turn on when water has dropped some amount and shut off when full. The timer can make sense if you have hours when electricity is significantly cheaper.

Edward Shilts

LlanoLonghorn
Reaction score
Your submersible pump will either have a built-in check valve or there will be one mounted right above the pump. That is the only check valve you want. Unrestricted pipe is usually good.

I presume you have a float switch, to keep your tank from overflowing, in series with the timer. More common is to not have the timer, and set up the float switch to turn on when water has dropped some amount and shut off when full. The timer can make sense if you have hours when electricity is significantly cheaper.

Thanks Reach4, yes the tank fill level is controlled by a float switch and the timer only controls when the pump can run.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The difference between one or two cycles per day is not going to make much difference on the life of the pump. Just do whatever is best for the well. If the well needs time to recover cut the run time, if the well is strong enough just fill the storage tank and be done with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks