How long to get fitting in with PEX-A?

Users who are viewing this thread

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
So I have 2 tricky place I need to put a PEX-a elbow. I have limited space and will have to expand one pipe then slide it through 2 joists (about 4 inches apart to get it into the small space the elbow and pipe will be. Since I have not done PEX-a before how long from the time I pull off the expansion tool is it practical to get the pipe onto the fitting? My only other option would be to put a cinch clamp and use a PEX -b fitting in this spot. My concern there is basically that is an u supported setup.

1647822945619.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/wirsbo-propex-expander-tool-pex-a-question.66570/ says 3 or 4 seconds.

You can use the F1807 fittings made for crimp and clamp on your PEX-a if that gets you out of a bind. You need the tool, but you can take your time getting the tool into position.

I doubt there area specialty elbows with F1807 on one leg and F1960 on the other. Could fit some special case if it existed.

Looking at your photo, I don't see what it is you will be doing with your PEX. You might mark up a photo if you want us to understand that.

Also, a SharkBite elbow might solve a problem for you.

Last edited:

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
It a spot like that, I would drill holes and lay out so as to avoid any joint whatsoever...ie, create sweep turns with diagonal holes through joist if structural specs are met.
I like that idea, may look at that and make sure I am not compromising the joists. Other option I was thinking was using a section of brass nipple with an elbow and just putting PEX expansion fittings on end end, then I can thread the nipple into the elbow.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/wirsbo-propex-expander-tool-pex-a-question.66570/ says 3 or 4 seconds.

You can use the F1807 fittings made for crimp and clamp on your PEX-a if that gets you out of a bind. You need the tool, but you can take your time getting the tool into position.

I doubt there area specialty elbows with F1807 on one leg and F1960 on the other. Could fit some special case if it existed.

Looking at your photo, I don't see what it is you will be doing with your PEX. You might mark up a photo if you want us to understand that.

Also, a SharkBite elbow might solve a problem for you.

I am replacing all the copper with PEX. Have had 5 pinholes in 6-7 months. I put an arrow in the narrow cavity I need to run PEX in. That cavity is right over the wall where the pipes go to the master shower. I suspect that is why they did not sister the joists there as they would have lost access to the wall the plumbing needs to go into.

And while I have nothing against Sharkbite wife and I are both afraid of putting them inside a wall/ceiling. I believe they will outlive me, but too many people that have had issues (I suspect due to poor preparation. Although I was thinking EvoPex fitting there and since it is going to show I just used 3/4 as oversized to make up for the flow restriction.

1647886917099.png

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your replacing it all why don't you also relocate some it to make it easier. There's no reason to put it back just how it was. Sometimes it helps to pull the pex past the point where it's needed, expand it, put a fitting on, then pull it back to where it needs to go. There's really almost nothing that came be done. The m12 expander does help.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Any info on why the pinholes. CDA (copper development association) provides claimed warranty for copper. Likely too much trouble to pursue, but public water supply and no electrical problems, why the pinholes?

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
If your replacing it all why don't you also relocate some it to make it easier. There's no reason to put it back just how it was. Sometimes it helps to pull the pex past the point where it's needed, expand it, put a fitting on, then pull it back to where it needs to go. There's really almost nothing that came be done. The m12 expander does help.
I am rerouting large portions, there is just no way to get to master shower without running down the small space between the 2 joists. Routing through attic is not practical as I would need to remove 21 inches of insulation.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
Any info on why the pinholes. CDA (copper development association) provides claimed warranty for copper. Likely too much trouble to pursue, but public water supply and no electrical problems, why the pinholes?
I thought this class windows had closed. The municipal water did several studies over 5 years ago as the increase of issues had everyone blaming water. The reports basically said, ntorhe water in general and likely poor materials or installs. I think BS and years ago the water was probably not treated well or over treated and they corrected it so any water studies later looked great.

I do know the house ground was not really to code, as it was over a foot out of the ground and rotting bad. The copper main was still solid and underground. Ironically I ran new dual grounding rods and bonded to both cold and hot copper line about the time the first pinholes surfaces in my home. Here in GA when this house was built (1984) building codes were almost non-existent, the majority of my electrical, plumbing and other parts are not close to being code today.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I have 2 tricky place I need to put a PEX-a elbow. I have limited space and will have to expand one pipe then slide it through 2 joists (about 4 inches apart to get it into the small space the elbow and pipe will be. Since I have not done PEX-a before how long from the time I pull off the expansion tool is it practical to get the pipe onto the fitting? My only other option would be to put a cinch clamp and use a PEX -b fitting in this spot. My concern there is basically that is an u supported setup.

View attachment 82153
Pre make sections

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks