How long should the supply line be bettween the wall and the toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spbphil

Reaction score
How long should the water line connector be to the toilet? At present I have installed one that is just about 2" longer than the distance, so there is a twist in it.
My local plumbing supply place said to get a significantly longer one, and loop it around in a circle, then attach to the toilet. The argument is that it puts less pressure on the plastic connectors.
Why does it matter? A couple of years ago I was sitting in my livingroom and heard a loud noise coming from the hall bathroom--the plastic connector had cracked off and I heard a loud and unusual sound--and there was water everywhere. I turned off the water at the wall, and put in a replacement line. TG this did not happen while I was out of town!
But now I am wondering if I should install the much larger one to prevent a future catastophe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want it long enough so that there's no stress on the line. Long enough for a loop works, but it doesn't have to be that long depending on the orientation.

Spbphil

Reaction score
Here are photos of the connectors for two toilets, showing the twist in each one. That's what I'm concerned about, since that puts pressure on the plastic connector--like the one that broke a few years ago.
Since I'm replacing the flow valve on one, so a good time to make any changes. Here are the two supply lines with twists.
Replace? Keep? Goal: Peace of mind.

Attachments

• 20200706_192231.jpg
    20200706_192231.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,368
  • 20200706_192157.jpg
    20200706_192157.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,885

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The length looks fine. The supply with the gray nut is a stronger nut than the white one. I would replace the supply with the white nut.

fluidmaster-toilet-supply-38.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks