How long of a wait with ceramic tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Blocking, especially the type usually installed (diagonals or solid often with a gap and not tightly fitted) primarily help keep the joists from twisting, which helps them maintain their maximum strength, but does not signficantly aid in overall floor deflection ratings. If you put a dead load on a subfloor with and without blocking, and it will deflect nearly the same. WIth properly installed subflooring, you get sharing between adjacent joists. Deflection is still a concern in a general case. Testing has shown that blocking does not make a major contribution to deflection except prior to subfloor installation. As previously noted, failures can often take up to 10-years to exhibit themselves from failing to follow the rules. There are short-term effects, and long-term creep effects. An improperly spec'ed floor under a heavy continuous load will slowly bend, different from a short-term impact, and can eventually fail.

There's a lot more science in this than the average person is aware of. Most pros give a 1-year warranty, and may fix things after, but often not. A failure after that timeframe, people don't often associate it with the install.

The trend in specifications for a floor is leaning more towards design for the real dead load than specifications on live load deflection...this is more reliable in the long-term and only slightly correlates to the current deflection scheme.

If your joists are fir or southern yellow pine in good condition, you should be okay. If they are full of holes, splits, or cracks, and another species, they are not.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
grout

Just about any grout that is latex modifed portland cement grout is what I use. Sanded for joints over 1/8" and non sanded for joints 1/8" or less.
Mix the grout powder with FLEXIBLE GROUT ADMIXTURE (in place of water), and mix to a “toothpaste†consistency. It is better to mix no more than can be used within 20 minutes. Mix well. Mix each batch until all the pigments are dispersed and wet. Then allow the grout to stand for 5 minutes and mix again. The mixing time for each batch should be the same.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
So now to installing the toilet over the ceramic. Most people recommend tiling under the flange, if this is the case then obviously it makes a fun job of screwing down the toilet flange. I'm relocating the toilet to the other side of the bathroom so I'll be starting fresh with a new hole and flange, etc. Is there a special drill bit for ceramic and I'm assuming it's a finesse game trying not to crack the tile while screwing down the toilet flange?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
use pieces of tile left over from the day's work, and position them so that you don't have to drill any holes. The goal is a level surface of the appropriate height to put the flange onto, and gaps left over for the flange's screwholes so that screws can go through easily and grip into your wood subfloor. You don't need a lot of grip. If you want to, you can grout the gaps and then drill out holes in the new soft grout. No big deal.

david

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Agree

Take Genies advice. As far as drilling through the tiles if you ever have to, in this case you dont, I use good quality concrete drill bits. They do however sell more expensive bits specifically for drilling through tile at Home Depot.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It very much depends on the type of tile you have. A pro would probably notch the tile using either a diamond blade on a grinder or with the wetsaw, or possibly with nippers to make a neat finish. If using a softer tile, a carbide bit might cut it. The most assured way is to use a diamond core bit. Lowes sells them fairly inexpensively, or you can buy them on the web. If the tile is properly thinsetted to the floor with proper coverage, unless you are drilling right at an edge, it takes a lot to crack a tile.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You haven't tried to drill a PEI V tile! It will laugh at a carbide bit...

Livin4Real

Reaction score
So while sitting around today I decided to flip the Toto over and have a look at the underside. I put the flange on it to see how much the toilet hung over on the sides and how close I needed to be for tiling. What I noticed was the bottom of the flange sat even with the bottom edge of the toilet, this is with nothing in between the toilet and flange (i.e. wax ring) so my concern is once the wax ring is on there. With putting the flange on top of the tile will it be too high with the wax ring for the toilet to rest evenly on the tile?

Livin4Real

Reaction score
It's an ultramax, I'll take a pic today and post it. Worst case (actually easier case to me) I have to screw it directly to the subfloor and tile around it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As long as the toilet will sit flush on the floor over the flange, there will be enough wax to make a seal when installed. In fact, the closer it is , the less chance of a blowout if you should ever need to plunge it out.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
that's the problem, there isn't any room in between the top of the flange and the bottom of the toilet, so once a wax ring is put in there I don't think it will compress enough to allow the toilet to sit flat on the tile. I picked up a waxless ring today, looks like that may be the way to go or like I said screw the flange directly to the subfloor. I didn't get a chance to take a pic but will get one in the morning.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the toilet can sit flat without the wax ring, it will sit flat with one. Any minor space inbetween will have wax in it after installation, creating the seal. The channel in the toilet is usually dome-shaped as well, which would fill with wax. Waxless works, too. Put the flange where it is designed to be if you have the choice.

viennamicro

Reaction score
Hmm...

With 120 acres, why not just use the tree and prop a shovel beside it?

I'd suggest some lime and approaching with the wind at your back :rolleyes:

Seriously, assuming you're a novice like me, take the time the pros quote and convert it to metric (double it and add 30).

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks