How long have nail plates been code for plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Goodhelp

Reaction score
Were nail protector plates (for plumbing) part of residential code in 1980? Where would I find that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In 1980 I was 8yrs old.. I was definitely on jobsites helping my dad in the summers. But I don't recall nail plates one way or another. I have code books back to 2009 and likely plumbing guide books into the 70's.

I would imagine that nail plates would have become necessary as soon as we were using plastic DWV and Copper water distribution. Copper began being used for water distribution probably in the late 50's early 60's. Whether they were added to the code is hard to say.

I'm imagining that this is coming up with an inspector who is insisting that you need to nail plate an entire home that doesn't have any from the 80's and you're trying to argue that you don't have to do the Re-work if the installation without nail plates was to code at the time of installation?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Since I started in 1974, always required...from when mankind began using copper tubing.
We'll be up in Spokane in mid October. Anything worthwhile to do with grandkids in 10-12 age range?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks