how large a sink will fit into 27" cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

Theresa

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever asked a question on a Forum, although I have read this Forum frequently for help with bathroom remodeling projects. I am now remodeling a small kitchen in which everything will be new (other than the hardwood flooring). I am very frustrated, as I have been given conflicting information from many different sources regarding how to determine the largest size sink for a 27" cabinet. I plan to have an under mount stainless steel sink installed in a 27" cabinet with a granite countertop. The interior of the cabinet measures 25.5". I was advised by the customer service rep at a very reputable German sink manufacturer that a 25" sink with a 23" bowl required an additional 1 inch on each side for the clips equaling a total of 27" needed for installation and would therefore be too large for the cabinet. However, the kitchen designer has advised me that the 25" sink would fit the cabinet. Please advise. Thank you.

Reaction score
You're going about it from the wrong direction.

Instead of getting a countertop/cabinet first and then try to find a sink to match, do it the other way around.

Get the sink that you want to make you happy for the rest of your life, then size the countertop/cabinet big enough around it.

Theresa

Reaction score
You're going about it from the wrong direction.

Instead of getting a countertop/cabinet first and then try to find a sink to match, do it the other way around.

Get the sink that you want to make you happy for the rest of your life, then size the countertop/cabinet big enough around it.
Thank you. I wish I had a large enough kitchen to be able to do that. I need to use every little bit of space I have for major appliances and cabinets in which to store everything. All the big ticket items including cabinets, countertop, appliances, venting, backsplash, etc. have been chosen already. Now I'm just trying to get the final details such as sink, faucet, hardware figured out.

Reaction score
Carpentry and renovations doesn't have the same tolerances of a Mercedes Benz where chassis parts can be aligned within fractions of an inch.

For someone that wished they had "a large enough kitchen", a 25 inch sink is massive enought to give a tween a bath in it.

The danger you make in choosing a sink that is "just right" can end up being oversized by a shim upon installation.

I'd want to undersize it by a good few inches, just so I have some room for error for whatever crap will be encountered when the kitchen is being built.

Try to imagine what kind of mood you may be in, after having dropped 5-figures into materials, and when you can't put it all together, the best case scenario is that the retailer gives you a restocking fee on taking back the sink you can't fit, and the alternate sink is on a 6 weeks backorder.

If the sink ends up being smaller than anticipated, I pull it forward, and give soap space in the back behind the faucets. Just think how wonderful it will be to have gallon-sized dish detergent from Sams Club on your countertop.

Give your concerns and what-if's to whoever you are giving all your money to, have them guarantee their promises in undisputable writing. End users often screw themselves because they lack the experience to cover contract holes that a contractor is regularly used to escaping from.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Granite still needs some depth to survive on the edge, especially when you consider that some of that is unsupported as a lip over the cabinet's edge. Some granite has a lot of small veins in it, some is quite homogenous so they are not all as strong as they might seem.

When I remodeled my kitchen, I moved my sink into a corner and made the front of the cabinet a 45-degree section. This allowed me to have a bigger sink and still have a fair amount of room behind it. Call a granite fabricator rather than a salesperson at the store and ask them the maximum depth they will warranty. A bump-out cabinet that is deeper might work, but would complicate the slab construction and add to the costs even more. In my case, the window that used to be right behind the sink is now slightly to my left instead. My drain went that direction, so that part was fairly easy to modify.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks