How good are Sharkbites for CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Bluelight

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a house built in 2005 that has a bunch of those crappy Accor technology shutoff valves. I have one that needs replacing right now but I am going to end up replacing them all eventually.

I can remove the Accor valves but my question is about the replacements.

My options seem to be either solvent welding the CPVC or using sharkbite shutoff valves which would be way easier.

The problem with the one I need to replace now is there isn't alot of extra pipe sticking out of the wall and if I mess up or need to otherwise remove it, I'm stuck having to deal with extending the pipe which is more hassle. I also just don't like the idea of having a valve that I can't remove without cutting pipe as the one I am looking at would be like that.

To solve that problem I could go with the CPVC to FIP adapter but then I read alot of ppl have issues with those leaking at the pipe threads even with tape or pipe sealant.

I feel like the sharkbite valve would be the easiest thing to deal with but they sort of scare me. The reliability seems to be good on them but I can't shake the feeling that one day it will just shoot off the pipe and flood the kitchen.

I'm hoping u guys can give me your true experience and knowledge about these sharkbite shutoff valves and tell me if they are as reliable as ppl say and put my fears to rest.

I do have other supply lines that have plenty of pipe to work with so gluing with those wouldn't be as much of a problem... If I needed to remove a valve I could cut the pipe and still have plenty, but this one is the shortest one.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluelight

Reaction score
That is basically what you have now with the Accor valves

Yeah they are similar good point. And they haven't blown off in this long. But I have heard that Sharkbites are supposed to hold on better.. Is that true? Accors can be screwed off where Sharkbites have to have the tool.

And of course the Sharkbites are metal instead of all plastic and are ball valves instead of the weird pull out lever. Also better?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sharkbites are higher quality. BUt, if the outside of the pipe is scored up after removing the existing ones, the O-ring may not seal properly...it needs a smooth surface. And, it needs to be FULLY inserted to the depth of the fitting. They will rotate on the pipe if you're not careful, but the teeth do dig in relatively well to hold it in place. The tool is cheap, and you can also use a 5/8" wrench on a 1/2" pipe (the OD) to release the teeth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks