How exactly does a partial clog cause the bowl water to drain out?

Users who are viewing this thread

moar

Reaction score
When there's a partial clog, the bowl water sometimes drain below the normal level. What's the mechanism behind this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may be that the water wicks out like a wick in a kerosene lamp. The water gets pulled through. Maybe..........

I've also heard that dental floss will do the same thing. Pull water from the bowl it's it's in the trapway.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
On the master plumbers exams they asked how can a trap loses it seal (8 ways) one is "capillary action " as Terry stated

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the partial clog keeps the siphon action much longer. By the time the siphoning down is done, the bowl refill from the fill valve has partially or totally finished. So refill water is included in the water that siphons out to the pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay, now we need the other seven. We didn't get that on our exam. I can see siphoning as one.
Pets.
Cracked bowl.
Bad venting
Hurricane low pressure gusts.
Evaporation.
Washing stuff in the toilet without refilling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks