How does the handle come off the Moen ExactTemp fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I installed the Moen ExactTemp fixture in my shower back in 2010. Now something has gone wrong in the temp control handle. It is supposed to rotate to a stop position at 120F (then you can push in the button in the center of handle if you want to rotate further for hotter water. However now the handle just keeps rotating with no stopping (just continues to spin and doesn't seem to change temp).

I want to remove the handle to see what is wrong (maybe handle stripped out). I think it still covered by Moen's warranty. But I don't remember how this fixture comes apart.

I spent a lot of time on the Moen site looking for literature on this (they don't make it easy). I found the installation sheet and parts listing but I'm still having a hard time figuring this out because Moen doesn't use any "text" to describe the process. They just provide pictures. http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/instruction-sheets/ins1282d.pdf

Looking at panel #14. it looks like I hold the handle and unscrew the ring between the escutcheon plate and the handle. Does that sound right. Panel #16 shows installing the button (item "L"), So do I need to remove the spring loaded button first? If so, How does that come off. Does it snap on/off?

In panels #13 to #16 it looks like the fixture is being assembled - then in panels #17 and #18 it is apart again. What the heck is Moen trying to show? :(

Capture.JPG

moen-3371-parts-1.jpg

moen-3371-parts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I figured out how to take it apart - just hold the knob and unscrew the collar (part "J"). I found the brass screw inside had come loose. So no parts needed.

I'm having a tough time reading the instructions on setting the knob/temperature in the correct place. First time I assembled it the the temperature is too hot. I have knob set to coldest position and it is okay, but anything above that is too hot. So I'll need to take it apart again and reset knob position. I guess it's trial and error since I can';t understand the directions.

I really hate these pictorial directions. Moen - please spend the extra 2 cents and add some text (if only for your english reading customers).

Reach4

Reaction score
I really hate these pictorial directions. Moen - please spend the extra 2 cents and add some text (if only for your english reading customers).
They can be interesting as puzzles, like sudoku, but with sudoku you can tell if you figured it out right. My guess was that part "O" was an extension only needed if the screw did not come out enough without the extension. But I did not feel confident at all in that guess.

I did not check Youtube to see if somebody had posted a solution. ;-)

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense that the steps up to 16 have the valve assembled then 17 ans 18 have it apart again. Part "O" is a protective cover (for depth placement in the wall cavity I think. That piece is long gone).

Anyways, it was screw "M" that cam loose - but my problem now is understanding the temperature range setting instructions (in the pictures below). It looks like nonsense. Pull, turn clockwise (between 9 and 12 o'clock) Push turn the other way. ????

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Paoyaj89

Reaction score
I figured out how to take it apart - just hold the knob and unscrew the collar (part "J"). I found the brass screw inside had come loose. So no parts needed.

I'm having a tough time reading the instructions on setting the knob/temperature in the correct place. First time I assembled it the the temperature is too hot. I have knob set to coldest position and it is okay, but anything above that is too hot. So I'll need to take it apart again and reset knob position. I guess it's trial and error since I can';t understand the directions.

I bought a house with a "Moen Thermostatic Shower System with Shower Head, 2 Volume Controls, and Hand Shower," and the its only set at luke warm/cold and I find it really annoying in both showers. I'm having a hard time and finding written instructions as you mentioned on the main valve collar(J) for the temp, it isn't budging at all. How did you get it to unscrew? Don't want to ruin a $1800+ shower with my frustration lmbo. Thank you!

moen-exact-temp-dec-04.jpg
moen-exact-temp-dec-03.jpg
moen-exact-temp-dec-02.jpg
moen-exact-temp-dec-01.jpg

Paoyaj89

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense that the steps up to 16 have the valve assembled then 17 ans 18 have it apart again. Part "O" is a protective cover (for depth placement in the wall cavity I think. That piece is long gone).

Anyways, it was screw "M" that cam loose - but my problem now is understanding the temperature range setting instructions (in the pictures below). It looks like nonsense. Pull, turn clockwise (between 9 and 12 o'clock) Push turn the other way. ????

View attachment 49756 View attachment 49757 View attachment 49758
I was able to get the collar off the temperature knob, but, now I'm stuck with the same issue. How do you rotate and readjust the temperature? If you have any updates, please share, this model seems to not be very popular due to its cost perhaps. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks