How does my hot water reciculation setup look?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Recirc setup.jpg

I bought a Grufundos Comfort Home recirculation pump a while back (the old style with the manually set on/off timer switches). It has a built in temperature sensor and a small temp setting dial on the side.

I'm finally getting around to installing it, and I wanted some feed back.

I have a PEX manifold mounted above the water heater in the garage. I plan to run one insulated hot water line to the master bath on the other side of the house, and a return line back. The return will be tee'd into the bottom of the water heater. The hot water is only feeding the Shower. The PEX pipe only feeds the shower valve and then is tee'd (looped) to return back to garage.

I will put the recirculation pump on the return side (as shown in the drawing). The Grufundos pump has a built in check valve, but I also bought an in-line swing style brass check valve. Do I need this?

Does this setup look okay?

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
On the swing-style check valve, does it matter whether I install it at the output side of the recirculation pump (above water heater) or should I put it at "ground level" where the Tee-fitting is located and the water returns to the WH?

In my drawing above, I am "pressurizing" (pumping to) the return line into WH rather than pumping (pressurizing) the hot water feed To the bathroom. I'm not sure if this matters. There are no instructions with this pump.

I think I need the recirculation pump on the return side so I can still get hot water in the Shower when the pump is not running (like middle of the day).

Last edited:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the swing-style check valve, does it matter whether I install it at the output side of the recirculation pump (above water heater) or should I put it at "ground level" where the Tee-fitting is located and the water returns to the WH?

In my drawing above, I am "pressurizing" (pumping to) the return line into WH rather than pumping (pressurizing) the hot water feed To the bathroom. I'm not sure if this matters. There are no instructions with this pump.

I think I need the recirculation pump on the return side so I can still get hot water in the Shower when the pump is not running (like middle of the day).
Did it come with a tee connection for furthest fixture. Usually u would tee off hot side. Ur going to waste energy this way

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment.

I ordered the check valve along with some fittings a year ago when I bought the pump, because it was said on another thread about recirculation systems that adding the check valve was a good idea (although I believe in that thread it was spring-ball check valve).

Since I already have the check valve, should I just go ahead and use it - or do you think it may cause a problem?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From the way you are installing the pump, it must NOT be a "Comfort system", because that pump connects to the hot water outlet and you have "bypass" valves at one, or more, faucets.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment.

I ordered the check valve along with some fittings a year ago when I bought the pump, because it was said on another thread about recirculation systems that adding the check valve was a good idea (although I believe in that thread it was spring-ball check valve).

Since I already have the check valve, should I just go ahead and use it - or do you think it may cause a problem?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm glad you replied before I started hooking everything up. So far I have only added a tee fitting and a shutoff at the water heater drain port.

This is what the loop would look like. Of course, the idea is to have instant hot water at the shower in the morning.

What kind of "pump" (or piping changes) should I make?
Recirc System Plan.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I've been looking at recirculation pumps that would work for my application. After researching this a while, I'm still not sure why the Grufondos "Comfort Pump" UP10-16BUATLC that I bought two years ago https://www.plumbersstock.com/grund...ze-body.html?gclid=CI_9jay78M0CFcJahgod5_gEpQ is not recommended. Perhaps you are thinking of the new "Comfort Series" model.

UPDATE: I found this Grufundos brochure that says I can use the Comfort Series pump with a return line - if I get the correct part number.
Grufundos Part numbers.JPG

So I think I am okay to use the pump I have, since I have the UP10-16BU ATLC (7th down in the New Construction section/list).

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Groans... the circ pushes the hot water... so homeowners language... in new construction, when installed properly, you DO NOT need circ pump or check valve on re circ line. Recently I repiped an very old home without any mechanical on return line, works beautifully. .

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sorry rjbphd for not understanding your comments. I do appreciate your advice.

I guess the issue your bringing up is that the pump I bought is designed to "push" water. But I'm concerned that if I put it on the Hot water pipe going to the bathroom "to push" the water, then when the pump is not running it will block all Hot water flow to bathroom. That is why I thought it would be best on return side (where it is "pulling" the water) but the Hot water piping to bathroom is unrestricted.

The brochure I copy/pasted above says in the last paragraph, "A circulator pump is installed where the return line connects to the hot water tank" - which is how I was planning to install it.
But then the next sentence says "The circulator pushes hot water through the supply line and back to the return line" - which sort of contradicts the sentence above. Confusing!

BTW, this is a single story ranch, with the original plumbing in the slab, and the new hot water and return lines going from WH in garage to the bathroom through the attic - if that matters, regarding gravity flow and head pressure.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks