How does GFCI go bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Here is one reason why you must check your GFCI around the home. I've had GFCI not want to trip with power still on and others just would not reset. This GFCI was from my son's pool timer housing. The problem was the pool light was not working because the transformer for the pool light was wired to the load side of the GFCI.

It was correctly installed with a weather resistant outlet cover and had a gasket seal. I do not know if it was weather resistance (WR) unit that is now required by code. As you can see from the pictures a small amount of water entered it. There were no signs of water entering the enclosure other than a little rust inside the GFCI. I can only sumized that in Florida and most of the sun belt we get incredible downpours and along with high winds and a small amount of water entered and the circuit board fried. There could have been lightning strike nearby and help it to its demise. The damage was at the bottom of the outlet.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmDLAami

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
Neat pics. Simple fact that GFCIs are known to fail. Per manufacturer they should be tested monthly so they are quite aware that these things aren't going to last.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Electronics don't last forever.

I'm a big fan of a whole-house surge suppressor installed at the power panel. They won't protect you from everything, but they do help. Smaller surges act like a hatchet chopping down a tree...the first or second strike won't fell it, but, eventually, the tree falls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks