How does a Toto toilet fit (you)?

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
This form convinced me to look at Toto toilets. I found a dealer showroom that had almost all the models on display. I must say, they are nice looking toilets and are styled to my liking.. a clean cut appearance. So, there I was, sitting on them, to get the "feel". Is it my imagination, or do they seem to be small? Maybe it's the concave scupltured seat that I'm not use to. I was originally considering a round bowl because that is what I have now, and the toilet runs parallel & adjacent to the tub, so I thought why block the tub anymore than necessary with an elongated bowl (2" longer). I know these toilets look nice & work well, so I'm soliciting opinions on how all of you like using them. My choices are narrowed down to UltraMax 1 piece versus Drake 2 piece. Round versus elongated bowl.
I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I never bought a toilet. I'd like to hear your comments.
Thanks, FJK

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are two basic s heights for toilets and I believe all makes are essential the same. The Standard height and the ADA height. Unless you are quiet short, you might well prefer the ADA height. These are especially popular with older or tall folks. The elongated bowl is preferred by males for obvious reasons. I have a Toto Dartmouth ADA with the soft close seat and it is excellent. The Dartmouth is quite similar to the Drake. My recommendation is to seriously consider the ADA height and select the model that you feel is the more attractive for your bathroom. There is no bad Toto, so you really can't go wrong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If for some reason, you don't like the Toto seats, a standard generic one will fit. I've got a Vespin and a Carlyle, and put in two Drakes at my mother's house. All elongated with Toto seats.

Loke

Reaction score
The contoured seat shape seems odd at first, but one gets accustomed to it quite quickly and I now prefer it to the regular flat type. We have the elongated bowls, in part because that is what comes with the higher height bowl (we have the new Toto Gwyneth, with "Universal height" bowl - tad shorter than standard ADA, I believe, but higher than regular bowls.) I have noted that the contoured seat is not one on which one wants to "perch" at the front as then the contours can be uncomfortable on the underside of the legs. But adjusting to sitting on the seat is not a big trick.

Good luck with your decision. There are many of us who have written on this forum who never could have imagined having spent so much time deciding on which toilet to purchase!

Mort

Reaction score
The Toto seating may seem odd in a store situation and be different at first, but it left me wondering how I ever managed to squat on the old 3.5 Am Std round bowl that it replaced. The elongated unit is really the way to go....more comfortable and though it measures slightly longer the Toto's I bought sit with the base closer to the wall so the protrusion into the room is negligable (hope that made sense)

Purchased and had one installed and went back the next week for two more for our other bathrooms.....they're that good. The one piece units my wife wanted are heavy.....dang near killed my plumber getting it upstairs on the first one so I bribed the delivery guys to take the second up top and would bet they won't want to do that again either;)

Mort

Loke

Reaction score
Yes, the one piece units are heavy. The old guy who delivered ours suggested that he could leave them in the garage so the plumber could take them into the house later, but I wasn't going for that - he was the one being paid for the delivery! Ended up helping him to get the suckers into the house :) - but the only stairs were the 3 at the front of the house so it wasn't so bad.

The one piece units do look good. And if you have the extra money and want to go for further ease of cleaning, consider one of the skirted models, and also, perhaps, a model with the Double Cyclone flush for the better bowl rinse.

random

Reaction score
We have the Toto Soiree with elongated bowl and C100 washlet installed 3 mo. ago and are happy with it. The comfort height is great too. Good luck!

CIMG1089 (Small).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

RCraig

Reaction score
washlet

Might I ask what a washlet is? I saw it on the Toto website but didn't order it. Thanks, Ruth

RCraig

Reaction score
bidets

Bidets - I used to live in France. I speak completely fluent French but I never did understand the purpose of those things. RUth

FJK

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helped me make a decission. Thinking I was going to order it today, I find out the dealer had one in stock, so I bought it & brought it home. I still have to grout tile, so at the rate I work, it will be a while before I install it. I settled on a Drake elongated bow in beige. I do have a follow up question, but I will put it under a separate post.
Thanks again, FJK

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks