How do you stop an airhandler from condensating

Users who are viewing this thread

droemer

Reaction score
Our new airhandler is condensating just like the old on ethat was replaced. The A/C company has increased the plenum; the supply was lengthened and angled to eliviate turblance on the blower, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? It appears that the A/C company is just guessing.

Thanks,
Doug:confused:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Our new airhandler is condensating just like the old on ethat was replaced. The A/C company has increased the plenum; the supply was lengthened and angled to eliviate turblance on the blower, etc.

Thanks,

Where is the Air Handler located? Basement, Crawlspace, Attic?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Condensing HOW? Evaporator coils are intended to condense moisture out of the air. Are you saying you have condensation on the outside or on ducts or pipes?

droemer

Reaction score
The airhandler is located in the garage. The airhandler is suspended from the garage ceiling. It is condesating on the bottom and side; closest to the blower motor and supply plenum.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The airhandler is located in the garage. The airhandler is suspended from the garage ceiling. It is condesating on the bottom and side; closest to the blower motor and supply plenum.

It sounds like it's located in a moist area and is condensing just due to the return air.

Is there any way to make removable Styrofoam panels that enclose the unit?

Edit:
Can you take a surface temperature measurement and compare that to the outside dew point?

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Read my post titled, “Air handler / duct work problemâ€, and the post titled, “How much duct work fo I needâ€.
I brought up the same question about a pressure test, and after some research, I found some good information on how much pressure, should be in the return side of the air handler. I have made an improvement on the unit, and it is 100 % better then what it was! I made my own manometer for around $20.00, (with the help of this great, great forum).

Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
condensation

IF a metal surface is chilled below the air's dew point, AND the air is humid, it WILL condense, period. It is a matter of physics. You have to raise the metal's temperature, which may not be possible if it cannot be internally insulated, (or you cannot raise the system's air temperature), or lower the humidity in the area, which may also be impossible, or separate the air from the metal with some sort of covering or insulation blanket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks