How do you install this without scratching the escutcheon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
I tried to spin the escutcheon in unison with the shower arm while tightening, but it binds up before the shower arm is correctly positioned facing downwards.

What's the secret to installing this without ruining the escutcheon, as I have?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 7.23.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 7.23.31 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Cjlambert

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of stretching a thin rubber o-ring around the threads, up to the back end of the square part on the shower arm. But the nylon washer will work better, as it will eliminate more friction, allowing me to keep the escutcheon in the correct position with more ease. Hopefully I can find one thin enough that it won’t stick out past the square part of the arm.

Thanks very much!

Cjlambert

Reaction score
So, this morning I went to the store that supplied the valve body and trim, explained the situation, and that I needed another escutcheon to replace the one I scratched. The woman behind the counter went and grabbed an identical trim box off the shelf, cracked it open, pulled out the escutcheon and handed it to me.

This one had a square hole, allowing me to slide it right over the shower arm, screw in the arm, then slide the escutcheon to the wall and silicone the back. Easy peasy.

Long story short, it was the wrong part that was originally shipped.

Cost me a headache + 2 hours of screwing around yesterday, and now a 2nd trip back today.

Shake. My. Head.

I find these types of manufacturer/supplier errors are becoming more and more typical.
I am tempted to write an angry letter, even though I know nothing will come of it.

I suppose this is just the world we live in now. I wonder if these companies even have a quality assurance/quality control sector anymore.... Doesn't seem like it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks