how do I vent shower and tub on the same drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Chas1057

Reaction score
I am installing a shower and tub in a line along the same wall. The shower drains into a trap drain goes four feet to pick
up the tub trap drain, then travels another four feet to a 3" drain going straight down, which vents thru 3" vent thru the
roof. How should I vent the shower/tub vent line. Option 1 before the shower trap? Option 2 after the shower trap. or
Option 3 just before the tub trap. All of which will vent thru the roof

venting.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
option one wont work for sure its a horizontal dry vent. 2 or 3 might? Im unfamiliar with your code

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's to the left of your shower trap on your picture? If it's nothing then that but of pipe needs to go bye bye.

Circuit venting comes to mind here which should comply. 2 or 3 should work as a circut vent but I'd have to re read upc to be sure.

What code does new jersey use?

Chas1057

Reaction score
What's to the left of your shower trap on your picture? If it's nothing then that but of pipe needs to go bye bye.

Circuit venting comes to mind here which should comply. 2 or 3 should work as a circut vent but I'd have to re read upc to be sure.

Two feet to the left of the shower trap is a wall where I can add a vent pipe to go up through the roof. Same situation with option 2 and 3.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
NJ has really funky Horizontal Wet venting rules, that basically say that only bathroom sinks/Lavatories can be used for that purpose. However your Option #2 makes this a circuit vent and that works. https://up.codes/viewer/new_jersey/nj-plumbing-code-2018/chapter/12/vents-and-venting#12.13.1

NJ code allows for venting to be horizontal under the flood level of the fixture provided that all of the fittings are of drainage type and drainage slope is maintained to a point not less than 6" above the flood level of the fixtures served. https://up.codes/viewer/new_jersey/nj-plumbing-code-2018/chapter/12/vents-and-venting#12.6.2.1

Attachments

• NJ Circuit venting.png
    NJ Circuit venting.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 96

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes allows a horizontal dry vent sounds like how you do it on UPC code only no need to have a structural condition . and it requires the vent take off to be above center line first ive seen of the NJ plumbing Code Thanks for the link Tuttles!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks