How do I treat for uranium in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark444

Reaction score
I'm trying to treat well water at my new house that has high uranium of 186, high manganese of .113, high hardness of 150. Ph is okay at 7.42 as are all other tested parameters. I've gotten 3 quotes, all different approaches. Two use mixed bed resin in one tank for hardness/uranium treatment, the third uses a single tank with two chambers that hold the resins separately. Is one method better than the other?

The other main question is how to deal with the lowered ph caused by the anion resin used to treat uranium. One quote has an upflow non backwashing calcite neutralize, the other two have backwashing neutralizers. All three say that the hardness caused by the neutralizer won't be a problem which is the 3rd question. What I read online suggests that the neutralizer may create a level of hardness that would require another softener. One of the companies suggest that I consider a radon bubbler instead of the neutralizer as he claims the bubbler will raise the ph without hardness although we won't know if it raises it enough until after it's installed. My radon water is 7810 vs standard of 10,000 in my state of NH. My own research makes me want to consider a soda ash neutralizer which I understand are more complex, more maintenance but they wouldn't cause hardness.

Any suggestions on mixed bed vs separate bed resins, backwashing vs non backwashing neutralizers, soda ash instead of calcite and radon bubble instead of a neutralizer, whether I will need a softener after the calcite neutralizer or any other thoughts on my dilemma. Thanks

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This is a complex design that most companies don't do right. Separated medias is important, the anion resin should be subjected to as little hardness as possible. pH changes will occur and should be monitored...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks