How do I test to see if my softener is leaking brine into the water supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

needhelp1

Reaction score
Chasing a problem... Saw today that my 20 year old Culligan is constantly flowing a small stream of water out of the discharge hose, even when not regenerating. Am going to have Culligan come out to take a look - they said likely a seal pack needs replacing. Could this issue introduce brine into the water supply?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could this issue introduce brine into the water supply?
Why do you ask?

Leaks might possibly cause some salt not being sufficiently rinsed, so you could in theory get some salt taste for a little while after a regen.

Getting the seals replaced and things cleaned etc sounds good. If he instead suggests a new system, you might check back before committing to that.

needhelp1

Reaction score
Why do you ask?

Leaks might possibly cause some salt not being sufficiently rinsed, so you could in theory get some salt taste for a little while after a regen.

Getting the seals replaced and things cleaned etc sounds good. If he instead suggests a new system, you might check back before committing to that.
Recall I am chasing a hot side problem where my brass stop valves, etc. are "corroding" on the inside. I noticed today that my softener discharge pipe is constantly flowing - not full flow, but it is flowing when it should not be doing so. I boiled down some soft water on a pan and I can taste what appears to be salt residue on the bottom. Think maybe the softener is bleeding off brine into the plumbing?

Reach4

Reaction score
I boiled down some soft water on a pan and I can taste what appears to be salt residue on the bottom. Think maybe the softener is bleeding off brine into the plumbing?
What a softener does is to replace calcium and magnesium salts with sodium salts. It is normal to have salt in the softened water. However sodium salt (regular salt) is readily soluble in water.

You could try boiling down hard water and soft water. If the softener were adding salt beyond replacing the magnesium and calcium, the residue would be considerably more than from the hard.

I don't know how the volume should compare. There will be 2 sodium atoms replacing each magnesium or calcium atom, so there is probably some natural volume expansion anyway. The atomic weight of sodium is 22. For Mg and Ca the numbers are 24.3 and 40.

Bannerman

Reaction score
my softener discharge pipe is constantly flowing - not full flow, but it is flowing when it should not be doing so.
A common problem when the control valve seals become worn and need to be replaced.

A constant flow to drain does not necessarily signify excessive sodium is being added to your water, unless the leakage flow is routed through the injector which then could result in brine from the brine tank being drawn into the softener resin tank.

Suggest rebuilding the softener control valve and then establish if that also resolves the angle stop sediment/corrosion issue.

As recommended in the other thread, the angle stops may easily be replaced.

needhelp1

Reaction score
Just wanted everyone to see, again, what is accumulating in my hot water valves (and behind them, as I recently removed one). This stuff is making a plug in the copper pipe where it is inserted into the brass fitting. Hot water side only. 20 year old Culligan softener, 2 year old water heater, city water. What is is? What is it happening? How to stop it?

Attachments

• PC080268.JPG
    PC080268.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_7834.JPG
    IMG_7834.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_7836.JPG
    IMG_7836.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 220

Reach4

Reaction score
How hard is it? Like the inside of drywall, or some harder material?

needhelp1

Reaction score
How hard is it? Like the inside of drywall, or some harder material?
When wet, it is like wet drywall consistency, maybe a little firmer. Pasty for sure. It can get a little granular too - maybe as it ages??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks