How do I salvage my bad tub spout install

Users who are viewing this thread

MrMackster

Reaction score
So a few months ago tiles started to fall off my 1960s shower wall at which point I discovered that the drywall and studs were bad from no waterproofing. I took down the remaining tile, put up a new wall and glued up a tub surround. I also took the opportunity to replace the shower valve and plumbing.

Everything went well except that I messed up the tub spout install by not reading the directions clearly enough. The tub spout I bought required a 1/2 NPT male fitting installed about 3/8 behind the finished surface OR a 3/4 inch NPT female fitting. So of course I installed a 1/2 NPT female fitting by mistake.

I have no attachment to this tub spout really so I don't mind returning it. The problem is I am not sure what to replace it with. I am fine with something basic like this https://www.faucetdirect.com/moen-195827-align-tub-spout/p3915258 which is a 1/2 inch slip but the slip bracket is embedded only about a 1/4 inch into the spout and I don't think my NPT fitting is deep enough to fit a 1/2 NPT to copper sweat adapter.

So what are my options here?

Edit:

So maybe the easiest option would be something like this? https://s1.img-b.com/build.com/medi...s/1237231/symmons-067-specification-sheet.pdf. And then just make a custom size stub outs with sweat to NPT on both ends?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I make a copper nipple with2 male adapters as you say. Or you can usually get a nipple the right length factory made. We used to use galvanized but those make rust or schedule 80 PVC cheap work great but snap off pretty easy, or brass is perfect and pricey.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Check out Grohe's tub spouts. Some use a brass adapter fitting that threads on to 1/2" pipe nipple and allow for a nice range of depth variance. The spout is secured on the adapter from below the spout with an hex wrench.
Always use a brass nipple.
Watch out, and check, because even Grohe now has a lot of slip-fit junk. Many use 3/4" but we have flush bushings to enable 1/2".
Check like 13339 Parkfield
If you don't mind the look, Delta makes a few that use a similar adapter. And Pasco has 1" adjustable depth simple cheap spouts (plumbing supply shops only) .

MrMackster

Reaction score
Check out Grohe's tub spouts. Some use a brass adapter fitting that threads on to 1/2" pipe nipple and allow for a nice range of depth variance. The spout is secured on the adapter from below the spout with an hex wrench.
Always use a brass nipple.
Watch out, and check, because even Grohe now has a lot of slip-fit junk. Many use 3/4" but we have flush bushings to enable 1/2".
Check like 13339 Parkfield
If you don't mind the look, Delta makes a few that use a similar adapter. And Pasco has 1" adjustable depth simple cheap spouts (plumbing supply shops only) .

I actually was looking at the Grohe Concetto as my first choice replacement option but it only allows its 1 1/16 from wall to the end of its bushing. I don’t know how long their bushing is but I don’t think I have enough room for a 1/2 inch close nipple + their bushing. I will check out some other models of theirs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks