How do I replace this tub drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

hamburglar

Reaction score
TL;DR: I want to replace my tub drain. Drain key won't budge existing tub drain. Am I on the right track?

I have a tub in my house which is probably 50 years old.

I accidentally broke off the trip lever, so I figured I'd use this opportunity to replace the drain with a toe tap drain, as the old one was starting to look rusty anyway.

The drain does not have a cross beam. It doesn't look like it ever had one. It does have two nubs on either side, about half inch down --- not sure if I'm supposed to use that.

Anyway, after some research I bought a "drain key" and attempted to ratchet it out.

The drain key bites fine, but the drain will not budge at all. I'm wondering if I'm just not torquing it enough, or if this type of drain isn't meant to be replaced in this manner.

I can make out "Standard - Made in USA" embossed on the drain ring. Does anyone recognize this type of a drain? Many of the bathroom fixtures including the matching toilet is an old American Standard.

I'm also concerned that the replacement drain won't fit. Visually, the replacement drain seems taller/deeper than the existing drain.

I've also attached the view from the basement.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

hamburglar

Reaction score
Great thanks. Just ordered one online. I actually considered buying that, but thought it only works for drains with the "T" cross in the middle... I will give it a shot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you have probably will work...but, you may need an extension for the wrench...that thing into cast iron is likely to be VERY tight, and take a lot of torque to remove it.

hamburglar

Reaction score
I gave the tool a shot today... the drain nubs tore it up good. I'm thinking about getting the ridgid model 342 internal wrench. A bit expensive... any thoughts? Hammer and chisel next?

Attachments

• IMG_20160917_143732034.jpg
    IMG_20160917_143732034.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20160917_143739899.jpg
    IMG_20160917_143739899.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 205
Reaction score
If the threads of the drain have been reliable and leak-free in the past 50 years, it isn't going to come off easily. You should be happy for this, that it hasn't leaked.

If you aren't saving the old drain/threads and have plenty of space in the basement to work from, you can easily grind it off.

All you need to do is grind enough of that drain elbow so that it doesn't have enough pressure to wrap with its threads.

I wrote about this in detail with pics in an earlier post here, you may want to search for it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would go back to your original drain key. Tap it down good and then use a long breaker bar or a piece of pipe for an extension. Be careful not to slip and hit the tub when something gives, as it would be a bad result to chip the porcelain finish in the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks