How do I remove Mixet balancing spool ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnInSoCal

Reaction score
ok, so I had very low flow for hot water in one of my showers so I replaced the cartridge in my Mixet single handle pressure balanced valve and it didn't really help. So I was going to inspect the balancing spool. I saw the slotted cap to remove the spool and it was extremely hard to unscrew. I finally got it but only the cap came off, the balancing spool remained in the housing. I have the same valve in a downstairs bathroom and removed that spool and it came out with the cap in one piece and was easy to remove (we never use this shower so I guess it's calcium buildup was not bad).

We have extremely hard water and this valve is 10 years old. I can actually turn the spool that remains in the housing with needle nose pliers however I can't pull it out.
I think the cap is suppose to remain with the spool and be removed together but mine came off. So I was thinking about getting a tap and screwing it into the spool and then try to pull it. Are there any other tricks to get this thing out ? It can spin but just won't budge coming out and it's tough to get a solid grip on it. Since it can turn ok I don't know what would be blocking it unless there is some kind of small rock in there or one of the o-rings came off, or some small copper shavings when it was originally put in.

thanks,
-- john

JohnInSoCal

Reaction score
FYI: if anybody has this problem in the future I was able to tap it with a 3/8" tap and put a bolt in just far enough to yank it out.

-- john

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks