How do I remove copper kitchen stub out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ohiogirl

Reaction score
How do I get this out? It's soldered in, right? Once I get it out, do I glue another piece of pipe in or are there other options?

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 936

Reach4

Reaction score
The piece you would solder in could be a "Copper Fitting End Plug"

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To remove a soldered joint, you heat it until the solder is melted. You will know when this happens because you should be pulling on the stub with pliers. When the solder is fully melted, the stub will just pull out. The install a new piece, the interior of the tee must be cleaned of solder which involves heating and brushing with a wire brush designed for that size fitting. There will be a thin coating of solder remaining, but no ridges. For that point it is a basic sweat process. Clean and flux the surfaces of the pieces, heat until solder melts and is drawn into the joint, let cool. Might be a problem for a novice because of the location. Keep a spray bottle of water within easy reach as fire is always a concern when soldering in a tight, enclosed space with wood very close. Safest thing to do is call a professional.

Stuff

Reaction score
Look close and you can see the bottom of the stub-out is torn/corroded. So it needs replaced with another short pipe. I assume it is a kitchen sink with a 1 1/2" or 2" so can be difficult to heat without opening the wall up a bit more and putting a flame protector behind. I would also solder on a brass waste connector but some think that is overkill.

The electric cable most likely needs pulled back at least temporarily so it doesn't burn. Converting it to a box and receptacle would be good if you can do it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
After looking closer at what you have and reading the comments from Stuff, I would agree with Stuff. Open the wall up a lot. Repairing drywall is about the simplest chore there is and you will need to have enough access for the torch to get good angles. Flame protectors for sure. I have use
#10 cans opened and flattened and they do make commercial ones. However, unless you have some experience with soldering, this is not really a job for ones first time with a torch. This is a larger fitting than I first though and will require more heating than say a 1/2" or 3/4" water line. Sometimes the best advice we can give a DIY is to get a pro.

Ohiogirl

Reaction score
Why are you trying to remove it? When you get it out the ONLY "replacement" would be another piece of copper SOLDERED, not "glued", in.
Yea, I didn't mean to say "glue". The bottom of the copper pipe has holes and I would like suggestions on how to fix it.

Ohiogirl

Reaction score
To remove a soldered joint, you heat it until the solder is melted. You will know when this happens because you should be pulling on the stub with pliers. When the solder is fully melted, the stub will just pull out. The install a new piece, the interior of the tee must be cleaned of solder which involves heating and brushing with a wire brush designed for that size fitting. There will be a thin coating of solder remaining, but no ridges. For that point it is a basic sweat process. Clean and flux the surfaces of the pieces, heat until solder melts and is drawn into the joint, let cool. Might be a problem for a novice because of the location. Keep a spray bottle of water within easy reach as fire is always a concern when soldering in a tight, enclosed space with wood very close. Safest thing to do is call a professional.
Thank you. I agree that it's not for a novice to do. A professional gave me an estimate of $400. Said he had to do all these other things in addition. I just want that pipe coming out of the wall fixed.

Ohiogirl

Reaction score
Look close and you can see the bottom of the stub-out is torn/corroded. So it needs replaced with another short pipe. I assume it is a kitchen sink with a 1 1/2" or 2" so can be difficult to heat without opening the wall up a bit more and putting a flame protector behind. I would also solder on a brass waste connector but some think that is overkill.

The electric cable most likely needs pulled back at least temporarily so it doesn't burn. Converting it to a box and receptacle would be good if you can do it.
Thank you. Yes, it's corroded and was leaking. Just wondering what some options are to fix it.

Ohiogirl

Reaction score
sue_lower_drain_2.jpg

On this sink drain, I cut out what was there and replaced it with ABS and some Mission couplings.

Thank you Terry. I think this is what a friend just suggested as well and think this will be what we try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks